Watercolor Cowl Finishing question

“Using tail sew BO edge to side edge”. I understand the schematic. I’m wondering what “sew” means to others who finished this. Did you use Kitchener or some other technique? I can’t tell from the pictures.

I used a Mattress stitch, but I think that other techniques would also work.
I also used wonder clips (pins would also have worked) to mark the beginning, middle and end of the seam so that it was even.

1 Like

I’ve reached the I-cord phase and cannot figure out where I went wrong. The chart for each of the squares (p 11) shows that the CO edge and the left edge would be the light color and the right edge and BO end would be dark. The schematic on pg 9 would have the BO (dark) end wrapping around to the right (dark) edge. Therefore the way mine looks, the outer edge is light and the inner edge is dark. But both pictures on pg 8 and pg 10 and the instructions for the I-cord show outer edging dark and inner edging light. Where did I mess up? Is it possible I’m wearing it upside down. I don’t really mind but I’m trying to learn how to read patterns correctly. TIA.

Ugh.
I see what you are saying, and I have to take responsibility for the original (mis)reading of the seaming directions, as the sample knitter.
I’m just so, so sorry. I’ll let editing and errata know about this right away.
Nell

1 Like

Mattress stitch, back stitch or whip stitch are good options. And double yes to wonder clips to hold the edges aligned until you get that far. As a substitute, those little kid spring barrettes also work.

1 Like

Whew. Thought I was crazy :slight_smile:

I have a finishing question too. What length do you knit to before seaming? The printed pattern says 36", and the digital version says 28". That is the difference of a couple pattern repeats, so I want to be sure before knitting more! Thanks.

I didn’t see that difference when I was working on mine but I wish I had. I thought 36 was too long and ripped it back to 32. I would go with 28 if I make it again. Also the schematic is incorrect if you want your dark edge to be along the bottom-sew CO edge rather than BO edge.

Thank you! That is very helpful, I will go with 28". I decided to make mine very colorful instead of the dark/light blocks, so I guess that is one problem I won’t have!

5 Likes

Love the color effect of yours with the constant color on the tiny square!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad you like it! Here is the finished product, in case you’re interested.

6 Likes

Gorgeous, and I think more interesting than if as original. Thank you for sharing! Here is my newest creation, designed for my LYS and my grandniece.

Jenna Hoefert
NovaSkills, Inc.

| hollyr
March 22 |

• | - |

Thanks, I’m glad you like it! Here is the finished product, in case you’re interested.

3 Likes