What I'm Making

It does help, indeed - thank you! I managed a couple of dozen rounds on the sleeve this afternoon, so perhaps there is hope that my son may be able to be a little smug about wearing it soon.

I started the Drachenfels shawl a couple of weeks ago.

10 Likes

A cowl. I wish I could say a pattern name but itā€™s just something lodged in my brain from way back. The yarn is corespun and itā€™s a little bit lumpy on purpose. I made mitts tooā€¦they are here somewhere. Hopefully I will bind off this evening.

13 Likes

I love those color combinations! Although, I do love the sweet temptation of new books, too!

2 Likes

Sorry to frighten! Hereā€™s the fixed square. I didnā€™t have enough Noro to make another square, and was traveling in a camper all summer. Spincycle has a very close colorway (ā€œShades of Earth,ā€ I think) so I alternated rows of Noro and Spincycle to get this.

Crisis averted, and itā€™s difficult to find the substituted yarn. Itā€™s a good thing wool is self-extinguishingā€¦

32 Likes

So many things! Iā€™m a bit of sleeve away from finishing a striped Shapely Boyfriend in an utterly delicious yarn from my local farmerā€™s market. Just need to buy and sew on buttons, so another week or two and thatā€™ll be done. (Iā€™ve knit three cardigans before, always with floppy button bands. How do people make them lovely and firm? I see ribbons sometimes - just sew one on, or is it more complicated than that?) My travel project is a riff on the basic sock pattern in Socks from the Toe Up, my sock bible. Plus stranded colorwork socks in Miss Babs, bought at Rhinebeck 2014, cast on the next day, and Iā€™ve still only just turned the heel of the first one. Theyā€™ll be so lovely, if I ever finish! Picture below - the pattern has little sheep, which seemed appropriately meta for yarn bought at my first Sheep & Wool fest. I also have a long-stalled lace shawl, my first time working with actual lace-weight yarn. Iā€™ll get to that eventually. Plus another shawl with some llama my sister picked up for me at the farm where she bought her llamas.

Hmmm - I thought I had more on the needles. I suspect I have many projects cast on in my head, just not in reality. Iā€™ll continue my Chemo Hat marathon after I finish the sweater - my (non-llama-owning) sister is busy showing cancer whoā€™s boss, so Iā€™ve made her ten hats so she has plenty of options. Sheā€™s allergic to wool, so three-quarters of my stash is off-limits. An excuse to go out and buy more yarn!

12 Likes

I just finished the Great American Afghan, and Iā€™m now making the National Park Blanket. I found this pattern on Ralvery. Sue

1 Like

One of the cute baby booties Iā€™m making, pattern fron Ravelry, itā€™s an old Norwegian pattern for ā€œno kickā€ booties, weā€™ll see how they work later this winter when my friend becomes a grandma for the first time!

18 Likes

Those are just Lovely colors!

Itā€™s like nothing ever happened!

1 Like

Thank you! Itā€™s Manos Silk Blend in some numbered color way that caught my eye years ago. I love how itā€™s knitting up.

On my needles: Chevron cowl in two Malabrogo Silky merino reds, Simple Skyp Socks, and ChicKnits Iba cardi in green Berroco Peruvia (that I bought for that Tilted Duster that was the Interweave fall 2007 cover girl). I feel like when my Field Guide arrrives there will also be some Squad Mitts in the mix!

1 Like

I just have the (short) sleeves left on this Miranda out of Brown Sheep Lambā€™s Pride.

13 Likes

Hope you get it done quickly before the next big grow. I find no better motivation than knitting for my children. Even though they are not really that glad to receive my knitted offerings.

1 Like

Go down a needle size or two for the stitches you pick up for your button band. Firms it up nicely.

5 Likes

Thank you! I realize that I did that on my almost-finished cardi, as instructed in the pattern, and the button bands are the most sturdy Iā€™ve managed to date. Now to find the motivation to re-do the other button bandsā€¦

1 Like

Naima is almost done in the body and ready for sleeves to be picked up, a vortex pi shawl is languishing on the needles but always present in my office knitting bag in case a conference call or webinar comes along. Tuck is also on the needles but hasnā€™t seen any action for a while and might need to be delayed to a spring sweater knit because there are too many other sweaters I want this winter. Just finished 3 white whiskers hats for various kidlets, two of which still need pom poms before they can be sent off. Made a swatch for pink memories which will be made for my sister for xmas, but not in pink, to be cast on soon.

3 Likes

I have many WIPs but two that I am concentrating. One is a granny square afghan for my 95 year old mother, who is always cold; if you need an afghan for a 95 year old, itā€™s best to crochet it. I am using Caron Cakes from Michaelā€™s as she loves tealā€¦ No point in using heirloom quality yarn for her either, Iā€™m afraid. Itā€™s actually very nice as mostly acrylic goes, and my cat loves it.

I am knitting a friend a turquoise and purple scarf using yarn I dyed myself. Half linen stitch is really the way to go with bright hand dyes. She asked for these colors and called them ā€œhappy colorsā€ - they are so happy sheā€™d be safe crossing a highway. While not subtle, they do cheer me up in the dark days of November..

So happy to see the lounge; I have been reading mason dixon for almost its entire run.

4 Likes

That yarn is gorgeous! any idea what it is? Iā€™m off to research ā€œcorespunā€ nowā€¦

@JM_Lark, Thank you! i bought an art batt from Elysa Darling and did the spinning part myself. Her colors are very vibrant. She has yarn too.

http://222handspun.com/home

Typically when you buy an art batt you can only partly see all the fibers so part of the fun is the discovery process.

2 Likes