Yarn shops in NYC

Hello, many of the yarn shops in New York City that i would have visited have closed their studios. For instance, purl soho, lion brand. Anyone have recommendations for new or existing shops that are still open? Downtown Yarns and Knitty City are on my list. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! I know these are in Brooklyn, but if you have time Brooklyn General is terrific and another one I discovered when visiting in April is Woolyn on Atlantic Avenue. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Oh how exciting! I love a good trip. If you’re willing to leave Manhattan, there are two in the Rivertowns north of the city. Both are easily accessible from Grand Central Terminal via Metro North Hudson Line trains. The train ride is lovely in itself.

The Observatory Shop in Hastings-on-Hudson is a very sweet little specialty yarn store that carries lots of other stuff. It’s a short walk up a hill from the Hastings train station. It’s a sweet little village with some cute shops and good restaurants. I’m a fan of both Maud’s (right across from the train station) and Bread and Brine (right across the parking lot from the yarn store). It’s about a 35 minute train ride. Depending on where you are staying it can be closer than travelling in the city.

Flying Fingers in Tarrytown is a much yarnier store with lots of great yarns. It’s at the top of a really, really big hill but there are cabs at the Tarrytown train station and I would jump in one to take me up the hill. It’s worth a couple of bucks (unless you have thighs of steel and want to walk it). Lots of antique shops and also good restaurants. I love Mint which is just a few doors down from the shop and recently ate at Sweet Grass across the street and thoroughly enjoyed the burger. If you are ready for cocktails and/or dinner on the Hudson on the way home, you can’t go wrong with the Washington Irving boat club behind the train station. It’s right on the river. It’s about a 45 minute train ride.

If you’re travelling with non-yarn enthusiasts who might instead be interested in a ball game, Yankee Stadium is on the same train line. There are a few more but they’re much further up the line although if you go to the one in Cold Spring, you’ll pass West Point on the ride. It’s very dramatic!

1 Like

And don’t forget Annie and Co. It’s on Madison in the 90s. It’s a lovely shop. It’s a shame that School Products showroom is closed. You got to take a really janky, old NYC elevator to get there.

1 Like

If you want to go to Brooklyn the Argyle Shop is in Windsor Terrace. I highly recommend it. J

1 Like