New Zealand yarn?

I’m heading to New Zealand to visit my son and daughter-in-law in a month. Does anyone have suggestions for wonderful yarn shops I should search out? We’ll be in and around Auckland and Queenstown. Thanks for any recommendations.

I’m interested in this as well. Step-daughter is leaving next week for 7 weeks in New Zealand.

How timely! I just got back from nearly 3 weeks in NZ last week, but found yarn shopping somewhat disappointing.

There are tons of wool shops, but most primarily sell finished garments made out of merino & brushtail possum. They can be found all over North & South Islands, even in what we would call “rest stops”, and most also carry at least a few skeins of yarn. I wasn’t really inspired by most of what I saw.

I finally found a yarn store called the Stitching Post in Arrowtown, which is just outside Queenstown on the South Island. It carries yarn, fabric and other hand craft items and I did find a nice skein of variegated New Zealand lace weight mohair. Arrowtown is a short bus ride from Queenstown and makes a wonderful day trip. In addition to the Stitching Post, there is a great museum of the area and a bunch of other interesting shops and restaurants.

I envy both of you. New Zealand is absolutely breathtaking and it’s people are wonderful. I’d go back in a New York minute! Have a safe trip.

1 Like

Back when I lived in TX, I came across this NZ dyer at a LYS whose yarns are gorgeous: https://www.happygoknitty.co.nz Aside from that one shop in Texas, looks like it’s only at a few stores in New Zealand.

The yarn I got was Sikkim— a mix of yak, merino, and silk— and it’s so soft and beautifully drapey. I really wish I’d gotten enough to make a shawl instead of just a scarf.

Thanks, Knittingjudge and MeganC. I’ll check out the Stitching Post and the link to happygoknitty. I’ll let you all know how I do!

I quickly looked at the happygokniting site based on your recommendation. Yum! This could be dangerous.

Thanks for the lead!

Oops. That was happygoknitty.

I’ve already sent her an email. Looks like it could be a good spot!

I enjoyed visiting the wool museum en route from north to south island - https://www.newzealand.com/ca/plan/business/the-wool-shed-national-museum-of-sheep-and-shearing/

I last visited NZ 2012, so I don’t know if the same shops are still around. I found delightful shops within walking distance of the harbor (south?) Auckland. I had great luck asking for LYS and finding more reasonable prices of possum / merino yarns than in the touristy boutique shops.

Possum blends definitely need care and planning for garments that avoid abrasion. I made a lovely poncho with possum/merino that sheds like crazy and grows long with each wear after blocking. Hats and scarves work better with possum blends - not great for socks or working sweaters.

kdlane71

December 4

I enjoyed visiting the wool museum en route from north to south island - https://www.newzealand.com/ca/plan/business/the-wool-shed-national-museum-of-sheep-and-shearing/

I last visited NZ 2012, so I don’t know if the same shops are still around. I found delightful shops within walking distance of the harbor (south?) Auckland. I had great luck asking for LYS and finding more reasonable prices of possum / merino yarns than in the touristy boutique shops.

Possum blends definitely need care and planning for garments that avoid abrasion. I made a lovely poncho with possum/merino that sheds like crazy and grows long with each wear after blocking. Hats and scarves work better with possum blends - not great for socks or working sweaters.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The happygoknitty site also lists lots of NZ stockists which may be helpful, although it appears that some are just Facebook sites.

We were with a tour but did have sufficient free time to explore, yet my Google searches for “yarn stores near you” were not really helpful except for that one store in Arrowtown. Maybe you’ll be more successful with more free time to explore and locals to help.

And I agree about brushtail possum as I’ve knit with it before (Zealana) Although it’s really warm, it works better in hats & scarves rather than garments.
Good luck.

Thanks to you all. I can’t wait to explore.

I only know south Island, but love wanaka woolens(and just down the street Perrium). A beautiful 45 minute drive from Queenstown over the Crown Range.

This website can help:

Type in the name of a city (searching “New Zealand” doesn’t work).

Hi there

New Zealand knitter here, based in the southern South Island, mainly around Central Otago (including Queenstown) and Southland

I’d strongly disagree with whoever commented re lack of yarn stores! They clearly didn’t look that hard. We have plenty of excellent places with lovely yarn.

Most shops aimed at visitors do indeed mostly (if not always) only stock made-up merino/brushtail possum garments. Just be aware they probably won’t have any yarn for sale. I would recommend commercially made gloves from such places though as they are so cozy and warm.

Around Queenstown, you can indeed stop at The Stitching Post in Arrowtown which has a reasonable selection. I do find the store is aimed more at visitors as Arrowtown (whilst pretty) is a tourist destination.

I’d personally go a bit further afield to Touch Yarns in Clyde, which is about 45 mins from Queenstown by car. They stock their own yarns. Their DK merino and sock yarns are really good.

There is also an excellent shop in Wanaka, about 1 hours drive from Queenstown. It’s called The Woven and they are open by appointment, I believe. Check out their website, they have their own yarns and have a knit night each week at a local cafe too.

If you’re traveling through Christchurch, I’d highly recommend Outlaw HQ. They produce their own yarn under the Outlaw Yarns label. Their signature mix is merino/brushtail possum/alpaca which is beautiful and warm. A real delight to knit with and the garments and accessories I’ve made with their yarn are on high rotation.

Hope these suggestions help!

Also, here’s some independent New Zealand yarn creators you might like to look up:

Dark Harbour Yarn
Union Fibre
Maniatoto Wool
Doespins
Ruataniwha Dye Studio
Miro Yarns