Stranded Colorwork

I’ve done lots of stranded colorwork, but somehow I’ve never knit a project where both colors change at the beginning of the round every second row. I’m creating a wide ladder/gap between the first and last stitch–how can I avoid this when I’m dropping two colors and starting two new colors?

I’m working on MaryJane Mucklestone’s Buness hat.
Many thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hi Jessica! Here’s Patty on ladders (on the subject of ladders, not actually doing a balancing act on ladders, but her skills continue to amaze, so…) Ask Patty: Magic Loop Solutions – Modern Daily Knitting And here’s Kate on the topic too: Techniques in Depth: Ladders, Begone! – Modern Daily Knitting Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks so much–but this isn’t about ladders so much as it is about a Fair Isle pattern that has two new colors in every other row–and the end and the beginning of the rows are constant. I figured it out, or at least I figured it out for me & this pattern–I am just floating the “old colors” as I work in the new colors and that seems to take care of the issue.
Many thanks though for the links to the ladders–good information to keep in mind!

1 Like