Are you ambi-craftual? Knitting loves crochet/crochet loves knitting

Two each week is amazing!

Yes. There is so much more to crochet than the Granny Square, Iā€™ve recently started crocheting garments. I read a few of Dora Ohrensteinā€™s books and found a new appreciation for the fine shaping possible with crochet. That said, there is something iconic about the granny square and all the different ways of making them.

2 Likes

I have been solely a knitter for 30+ years and could only do simple crochet things. Recently Iā€™ve been trying to learn more because I stumbled onto pictures of freeform crochet and Iā€™m blown away by the gorgeous and creative things people create. And I love the idea of no pattern whatsoever, just make it up as you go along, how fun.

2 Likes

I am omni-craftual!

I taught myself to crochet and then knit in 2000. I was in my first job out of law school and it was super stressful for many reasons, but I did have the mental bandwidth to play with yarn and sticks! Nowadays I mostly knit but still pick pick up a hook to make a shawl from time to time. Doing yarny things still calms down all of my crazy.

My career in things fibery began early - my mom gave me a cross-stitch kitā€¦ had to be when I was between 5-9 years old and I learned to sew in 4-H, starting at 9 years old. After knitting, sewing is my other primary craft. I still cross-stitch and added needlepoint to the mix something likeā€¦ 10 years ago?

OH, was anyone else ever gifted a latch hook rug kit as a child? Did you ever finish it? I did receive one; never finished.

Long story short, I have rather a glorious pile of many stashes that will be ā€œfunā€ to move some day.

3 Likes

I learned to knit when i was about 7ā€“but I learned to crochet at age 21 from an elderly women in my small town in Alaska who crocheted lovely lace table clothesā€“I still have the round pineapple lace tablecloth she made and it has been at least 40 years since she died. Then I spent several years obsessed with crocheting laceā€”from lace edging to doilies to table clothes. I still like crocheting for blankets and throws because I can crochet much faster than I can knit. For awhile recently I was obsessed with bead crochet ā€”and created bead crochet necklaces and bracelets and taught bead crochet. I frequently use crochet as an edging on a knitted garment. i never much like crochet for sweaters or garmentsā€”not as much stretch and drape as a knit garment.

When I lived on Dominica Island in the Eastern Caribbean ( I was in the US Peace Corps) --it was so hot and humidā€“my floor fan was my best friend and I never ever wore a sweater or even a shawl. I never wore shoes eitherā€“only sandals. I wore a long sleeve cotton blouse in air conditioningā€“but rarely was in air conditioning (too expensive.) I took a light weight cotton sweater with me and never wore it. Most people in Carribbean the donā€™t have air conditioningā€¦

1 Like

Elizabeth, thank you for pointing me toward Dora Ohrenstein! She has some great patternsā€¦love the Pie Maker Pullover. Beautiful garments are indeed possible with crochet.

Lene at Dances With Wool has a gorgeous crocheted cardigan today made with Lang Yarns Donegal Merino (https://lenealve.blogspot.com). Itā€™s her take on a pattern by Melissa Thibault.

And yes, I am ambi-craftual (multi-craftual even)!

1 Like

Yes! I too love the flexibility of crochet. Being able to build a piece as I go with no plan. Sometimes you donā€™t know what color or pattern you will want until youā€™ve completed the part leading up to it. Itā€™s kind of how I garden too. I need to plant things, see how they grow and then move them around to please my eye.

Post a picture of your free form experiments when you do them.

1 Like

Hi Annie! So glad you found Dora inspiring. Let us know if you dive into crocheting a sweater.

1 Like

I had one Grandma who taught me to crochet and one who taught me to knit. I could never pick a favoriteā€”I love them both (my grandmas and my crafts). Now I am teaching my own granddaughter!

7 Likes

I crochet as well as knit. I enjoy knitting much more for some reason. But about once a year I tend to bang out a crochet afghan or childā€™s toy just for the heck of it. Crocheted some little cowboy booties recently for new grandson (#9!) Due soon.

3 Likes