Bang out a Daytripper - February 2022

Good luck! You will do just fine.

1 Like

Just got my yarn- so excited to join you all. I’ve been suffering from some ulnar nerve issues and arthritis and lost my knitting mojo but I’m hoping doing a new project on big (for me) needles and pacing myself through the month will get me rolling again! Off to try swatching!

5 Likes

I have swatched and will probably go to 10.5 for stranded color work. Still waiting for my main color yarn. Hope it arrives this weekend!

4 Likes

I’ve gotten half my yarn- still waiting for a few more skeins and my DPNs to come in. I’ve had a lot of fun making my color charts!

2 Likes

Would love to see pictures of your coloring charts!

I’ve thought about playing with coloring for the charts and today am going to swatch in stranded colorwork.

Just curious to see how other people are coloring :grinning:

1 Like

It’s my first knitalong and I can’t wait to get started. I just ordered my yarn and I’m ready!
I have had my eye on the Daytripper for a while now and I can’t wait to see how it comes out. I am terrified of the steek, but I am seeing it as a step on my journey to Farisle so it is a skill that must be gathered.

5 Likes

It is so lovely to see a glimpse of the fabric being created - thanks for sharing! Great color choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cutting a steek gives you such a feeling of power over your knitting! I’ve done machine sewn and crocheted steeks but never felted one so I’m looking forward to trying something new! It’s one of those things that seems impossibly scary until you’ve done one and seen for yourself that it doesn’t all fall apart!

1 Like

@bonniefranz thank you for the encouragement! I think I’ll be holding my breath the entire time, but I must trust that countless others have walked this path before me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I am in!! I have my yarn and chose my colors. I guess the next thing is to color some graph paper???

1 Like

I’m in for my first official MDK KAL! Very excited to start!

3 Likes

Allison, will this be recorded? I desperately want to get the information in the 101 session and have a scheduling “issue” :slight_smile:

I’m a bit off course with joining in on the fun of banging out a sweater. So I won’t be officially joining this particular bangalong, but instead will knit a big purple Main Squeeze while watching from the sidelines. I’ll probably knit the Daytripper in 2024?
You all have fun and carry on without me.

3 Likes

Somewhere toward the beginning of this topic is a link (at least I think it’s a link) to Jen Geigley’s black and white drawings so that you can print them out and then color. This will work much better than graph paper. Be prepared to have the time of your life! The possibilities seem endless.

1 Like

Hi, Becky! I think I might join you with the yarn I bought on the same trip.

1 Like

I am fairly certain that you may participate with any project that you’re banging out!
I had considered another Kiki Mariko, but have gathered a lovely assortment of Lettlopi… and am hoping to squeeze in the finishing touches of my Main Squeeze from 2020.
Jump in!!

4 Likes

Swatch update and question:

I ended with size 10.5 needles (the bit above the orange stripe) and got very close to gauge, rows were perfect, 18=4 inches but stitches were so close, 14 or 13 in 4 inches depending on where I measured.

I like the fabric (especially after I imagine it blocked) so I’m keeping my needle size.

My next attempt will be to make a bottom of the sleeve swatch with my true colors, the natural color is my main color and the orange will be my borders, can’t decide which accent to put with the orange!

My question: which size to make?

I ALWAYS make size large. If not I go up to an XL.

I know I will never wear this cardi buttoned up, although I am dedicated to buttons and buttonholes.

I’m debating going to an M for this, that would be close to my bust size in the finished piece so would work to wear open I think.

Before I decide I will measure myself (again) and my favorite cardi that I wear this way.

My question is for those who have made this already, is it better (more comfortable) to wear this looser? I don’t mind my woolens with a bit of bite, but I do want it to be comfortable!

5 Likes

I’m in! I pulled out my Lettlopi stash, ordered some, and today, I finally laid it all out and finished picking my colors. Really, I should be ashamed of myself because I only had to pick between two different blues and I use the word different loosely. I’ve pretty much stuck with the pattern colors with a few totally unnoticeable tweaks.

IMG_0232

8 Likes

I just might be ready! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

hi, Suzy, yayyyyyy!!! This will be fun. I hope some of the other Nelkinites join in!