Bang Out a Kiki Mariko

I dropped down to “fix” stitches 2-5 in my steek in an attempt to make it checkerboard. It’s a bit wonky but I’m thinking it shouldn’t really matter because the steek gets cut off in the finished felted rug, correct? I’m really not a frogger…

I’m also working with two handed tension - usually a continental knitter. Tried holding both in left hand but that didn’t work well for me. Tension not perfectly even for the first 10 rows, but again since this is felted I’m don’t think it will matter. Plus no one will see it but me because it’s going by my side of the bed.

Thoughts on the above?

3 Likes

Which pattern are you working from? The one in the book or the more recent one that is online/came with the kits? The “Blues” chart from the most recent pattern is 7 colors, if that helps!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Bang Out a Kiki Mariko:

Ready, Fire, Aim…that’s generally how I attack a project. And this was no exception. I glanced thru the instructions, cast on and started banging it out, all the while thinking something wasn’t quite right with the steek. So, after reading your comments, rereading the pattern, ripping out to the cast on, I’m back to where I started from.

7 Likes

I think that this is a great practice for 2 handed knitting- as the fabric will be felted, and I agree that the steek stitches are not that important. I have a funky spot in mine…

5 Likes

According to the updated pattern, approximately 30"x 60" (76 x 152.5 cm) before felting; 26"x 40" (66 x 101.5 cm) after felting

or the original in the book, the dimensions are approximately 34"x 60" (86 x 152.5 cm) before felting; 30"x 40" (76 x 101.5 cm) after felting

3 Likes

Updated Steek Chart to reflect current pattern. It’s in black and white so it doesn’t matter how many colors or what color combinations you’re knitting with.

11 Likes

Thank you. And I finally figured out that we can bookmark a post!!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting the steek chart. A visual like this really helps me.

1 Like

I’m really thinking about frogging due to the tension change. Thoughts?

3 Likes

I didn’t have large enough stitch markers, either - I tied some loops of scrap yarn that was arms length from me at the time!

1 Like

I’m relieved to see most of the progress pictures have the ‘stockinette curl’ like mine does! I know that’s a normal thing and all, but had plenty of time while knitting to be concerned about how that behaves while it’s felting? I know hundreds of folks have knitted these, so I’m probably overthinking. (Not the first time)
I’m already on size 15 needles, but I may start over and cast on a little looser (and with the right color which I like better for the Heather color combo instead of brown) and knit inside out for peace of mind on the stranded tension!

4 Likes

My partner 3D printed some large stitch markers for me. Let me know if you want some and I’ll drop them in the mail!

8 Likes

Here’s my start - made Dynamite blue my color A - love the dark border. This is so fun

8 Likes

My laundry room won’t fit the new front loading machines and my old top loader died. You might be glad to know they are still making top loaders and my new one has a see-through top!!

8 Likes

Love those colors!

Floops has extra large stitch markers. I love them.

1 Like

Same! My 13 was too tight, my 15 is wonky and loose but very close to gauge. I keep thinking “it’s a rug. It’s just a rug.” (á la Yvonne Elliman, if you want a song in your head for a while, I’m the ear worm queen!) Maybe I’ll head back to the 13s and watch a few tutorials on loose floats before starting again.
Or I might just continue!

3 Likes

I bought it from Ravelry I think. It has the blue chart and the heather chart. the directions begin saying using brown (a) and then Green (b) but the remaining colors are not given an assigned letter. So looking at the charts, I don’t know what color to start with. the blue chart starts with violet and dynamite, which are both one skein colors. Is that right? Dynamte blue is the Brown and Violet fields is the green?

1 Like

I purchased my pattern from Ravelry in December. It has only one set of color charts and the colors are assigned in rainbow colors. I’m wondering if the Ravelry pattern can be updated to include the other set of charts?

@JM_Lark - “it’s a rug; it’s just a rug” !! Love it.

I keep thinking that this thing is uniquely mine. I may be knitting the same pattern and using the same yarn as everyone else. But did anyone else start with the wrong chart (Chart 2 then 1 for me) and read a line backwards that they decided to keep so that the first section has a mini-zig? I think not.

Mindset: no stress. have fun.

“It’s just a rug”

7 Likes