Best Bind off for garter Stitch Shawl?

I’m making my mom the garter stitch shawl inspired by Outlander that We Are Knitters put out and it’s going swimmingly! I’m getting close to the end and I’m not sure which method of binding off would look best. The pattern just says “Bind off.” Any advice?

1 Like

I usually do a combo. I use a larger needle and then I do one that was taught to me for lace knitting.
Knit the first two stitches.
Slip them back to the left needle.
*Knit the two stitches together through the back loop.
Slip the one stitch that is now on your needle back to the left needle.
Then continue from the * slipping the one from the right needle back and knitting two together through the back loop.

Hope it helps.

4 Likes

You might consider the Icelandic bindoff. You can find it on the internet and on YouTube. It creates a firm edge that looks a bit like i-cord. It’s a nice bindoff for garter stitch. Be sure to work it somewhat loosely–using a needle that’s a couple of sizes larger than your pattern calls for helps.

3 Likes

I like the Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn bind off. You need to estimate the yarn length needed before cutting it but it’s beautifully stretchy without flare.

5 Likes

The sewn bind off is also great if you feel that you’re going to be playing Yarn Chicken, as it takes less yardage!

3 Likes