Chromium experiences

Has anyone had experience with the NHF Chromium yarn? I find that it tangles terribly. FG 24 doesn’t have any notes about the yarn so was wondering what I’m doing wrong.

3 Likes

I have to say that I haven’t wound Chromium, but I would slowly hand wind it onto an empty cone or a tube (from paper towels or tp) and then keep it stored in its own bag, perhaps with a piece of washi to hold the tail.

3 Likes

I wound two skeins of chromium with an Amish swift and a ball winder. I was skeptical that it would work, but I had no problems at all. I have found that there is less tangling in general if you hold the opened up skein in a loop over the backs of your hands and snap it a few times before winding it.

6 Likes

Thanks! Let me try the tube.

3 Likes

The challenge for me was finding the “end” to start winding. After that just slow and steady did it —- hand winding into a ball. I am using the Rock Creek Park color kit for the small bag and it is absolutely beautiful. the knitting has to be slow and steady also - with very deliberate stitches. But enjoying seeing the progress.

3 Likes

I also had difficulty winding the chromium, even though I used a paper towel tube (I wasn’t careful enough with it coming off the skein). However, once I started knitting, it has been extremely easy to knit with. I am about halfway through the small Penrose tote and have enjoyed this project very much!

3 Likes

I found using my winder made winding the Chromium easy if I went slow. I like knitting the two yarns together for the small tote, but I am having a problem getting gauge. Normally I go down a needle size but I am finding I can’t get it gauge even on #2….will probably end up using a #1 needle. Am I the only one having a problem? Look forward to hearing from others.

2 Likes

I went down to a 3 just because I liked the firmer fabric. I didn’t really worry about gauge on a bag just got the fabric I liked. I am also doing a little larger — 6 repeats instead of 5 —. Since I was not planning on doing the bracelets from the kit I think there should be enough yardage to cover So obviously I’m winging it. Hope it all works out. Love the pattern and working with this new to me fiber !

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I will probably stay with #2 needles and cast on less stitches and figure it out from there as to where to put the handles. Another thought is to put a fabric lining into the bag to help with shape. I am open to other comments.

1 Like

If you have a small tote the same size as your knit project it is easy to line the bag, just cut off the handles and sew in place. You can also make a liner and sew in.

1 Like

I haven’t had any problem with it. I hand-wound it into a ball, and even frogged the fortune teller cuff (too many mistakes by a guy who forgets lifelines), but didn’t find any particularly challenging tangles - though frogging marled projects is not something to which I aspire in the future.

2 Likes

I didn’t worry about gauge thinking that it’s a tote - I don’t have to worry about it “fitting”. However, in retrospect, I wish I had thought about it a little more. The tote is finished, but I had to pull out a second ball of yarn from my turnstile wrap to complete it. Fortunately I’m using the same color for both projects. Also, it’s a little bigger than I’d like it to be. And of course hoping I have enough yarn left for the turnstile wrap.

1 Like