Classic Rowan and MDK

Found this treasure @ Powell’s Books today. They had The Rowan Knitting Book No.1 and No.3 also. I love the cover pattern, ‘Midnight Carnation’. Only available as a kit😭

And of course, no good knitter’s coffee table should be without this MDK classic😉

6 Likes

I have two copies of the MDK book - one for each house.
That’s funny about the Rowan book since I was actually looking at that one on eBay this morning since I have a search that sends me daily e-mails on Rowan books newly listed along with a whole lot of other knitting-related things - hence Michigan Yarn Stalker. :wink:

3 Likes

You can purchase from Powell’s and they’ll ship it👍🏻

1 Like

I have ordered from them before. Most of the knitting books that I’ve recently acquired were from a Detroit area used bookstore that had several listed for under $5 with free shipping.

2 Likes

Good deal!! The Rowan Book No.1, from 1986, is $35!!

1 Like

Screenshot_2020-02-25 rowan knitting book 1 eBay
This one?
There are at least two on eBay for $24.95 not including shipping. This is one of the listings that I received notification of in one of my searches.

2 Likes

I don’t think it looked like that. The banner is across the bottom, like the picture of mine

1 Like

I hate to brag, but I have original copies of all the early Rowan books, Kaife’s first book, Christian de Falbe, Aarlan, etc. not ready to part with any of them, but I’ll keep you guys in mind when I head off to the nursing home.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the time a design manager within the GM auto interiors lab told me I could give him a resume and he’d give me a call when the current employees operating the sewing machines retired. Righto I said. They’re were all the same age as me.
:wink:

1 Like

Love your comment!

In addition to the original hard cover Glorious Knits, I have Hugh Ehrman’s Designer Knitting, most of the Alice Starmore books (unloaded the Tudor book on eBay), early Vogue Knitting, Jaeger, Jamieson’s Shetland mags & books, and a bunch of vintage mags from the 30’s, 40’s & 50’s, including a couple of British Vogue mags I inherited.

I just need to find a younger knitter to inherit all this from me when I go to that great yarn store in the sky.

2 Likes

I’ve actually acquired vintage VK books, as they used to be called, from as far back as the 1940s from an older knitter who was rehoming her books and other knitting-related items.
The other day I purchased some merino fingering weight yarn from an organization that sells donations to fund an orphanage. I bought two skeins each with 480 grams. That’s a lot of grammage to add to my stash not to mention yardage. I’m starting to get worried about my stash and library that took me over 50 years to curate :wink: Neither of my daughters knit and neither do any of my nieces.
The shelter where I adopted my dog has an annual gigantic sale and all items are donated and all proceeds go to the shelter. I’ve thought about taking some things there while I’m still an earthly resident.
A friend of mine is losing her battle with the Big C and already has cleared out most of her belongings and gave her husband directions on what to do with what’s left.
Scary, but, something we all need to think about. There’s no way that I want my treasures out on the edge of the road. My ex-MIL did just that with her mother’s loom, swift, yarns, fabrics, etc. when she died since she knew nothing about any of them. I had just met the family and was devastated when she told me that the garbage men took it all.
So painful.

2 Likes

There are a lot of suggestions, under various posts, in The Lounge about donating fiber related treasures. Maybe check them out!

1 Like

Not yet. I’m planning on being around for another 30 years or more yet. :wink:

3 Likes

Me too!

I assume from your name, you live in the great state of Michigan, which is a long way from me in NJ. Otherwise we could have designated each other to handle the yarn & book stash when we go to that big yarn store in the sky!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Enjoy what you have. I know I am!

2 Likes

MichiganYarnStalker and others - You can designate a Yarn Executor in your will (you do have a will, don’t you?). I chose someone who is a better knitter than me and is in our local Knitters Guild (as I am). Also younger and healthier. She knows that she is thus designated, and she will know exactly what to do with my stash when the time comes. My husband is fine with this; in fact, he welcomes it, as he knows how much I value my stash, and he wouldn’t have a clue what to do with it.

2 Likes

I have an early hardcover of Kinitting Without Tears. I cherish it.

1 Like