Daytripper Steek question

Have a question about steeks. In the Daytripper pattern, designed for Lettlopi, Mary Jane suggests a steek technique that uses thread in a running stitch up and back down each side of the steek.

In her Oorik Tank Top pattern (in a Year of Techniques) made with fingering yarn, the steek technique says to use fingering weight yarn and a crochet hook to basically bind off the edge before it is cut.

Are the different techniques suggested for each application because of the yarn weights? Does the Lettlopi need less stabilization?

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t know the answer for sure, but I have a guess. The Oorik is basically bound off and, boom, done, right? On the Daytripper, you actually fold the steek to the inside before attaching buttons. The purpose of this would, presumably, be to create a more stabilized base to attach buttons.

1 Like

The ways that I know of to secure a steek before cutting, are sewing, either by hand or machine, a crochet chain, and as I learned here on the MDK site, needle felting. There may be more…

Agree there are no buttons, but on the Oorik the steeks are used to cut vest armholes and V-neck. They are folded back and a border (like the buttonband) is attached to both openings. Maybe the crocheted edge of the steek provides for a smoother “finish”?

Understand, I’m wondering if the method of securing the steek is a function of the type of yarn used, or a stylistic preference. In this case, the same designer chose two different methods. My question is whether that was based on the type of yarn in the project or the type of garment.

1 Like

Oh, I did misunderstand you. I am not sure of the answer to your question then…

Ahhhh. I’d say that’s a question for the designer.

I’ve steeked both Lettlopi and Shetland jumper weight without machine sewing, crocheting, hand stitching, or needle felting. (I’ve even steeked merino without prep.)

Icelandic and Shetland don’t require that kind of prep if you have 5-9 stitches of steek bridge.

1 Like

From my limited experience with steeking I have found that it really depends on the yarn and what your going to do with it once it’s cut. It steeked a baby sweater in cascade Friday Harbor yarn which is lovely but not very grabby. The pattern called for a crochet line and then a steek sandwich. A great treatment that left me with a lovely button band. I also just cut a Felted Tweed needle felted steek and cut it down to about 1/4 of an inch. The Felted Tweed is really grabby so it Felted like dream and didn’t need anything else. If you’re in doubt, stabilize it it with whatever method feels like you’ll be confident with it. Oh, and I wouldn’t bother trying to steek something that’s not an animal fiber. Some people will do it it but I’m just not that brave.

2 Likes