Great Mysteries to Knit To

Ooh, a new Louise Penny. I think I’ve read/listened to all of them. Thanks for mentioning that. And thank you Louise for keeping writing them. Right now I’ve been reading historical mysteries by Cora Harrison set in the Burren of Ireland. I don’t recommend them for the writing but if you are actually visiting as I am the history is really fun.

1 Like

I have reaf all the Maggie Sefton books…very enjoyable light reading…hmmm I should revisit those…quite a few years since I read the first ones.:blush:

2 Likes

Me too. I have learned so much about the period (from about 1910?) through WWII as well as being entertained and pleasantly puzzled about the mysteries.

2 Likes

I have loved Spencer Quinn’s Chet and Bernie series. Chet the German Shepherd, who flunked out of K-9 training due to an incident involving a cat, narrates tales of solving mysteries with his owner Bernie, a private eye retired from the police department. Very charming and funny, at least for this dog lover. The first 2 books, Dog On It and Thereby Hangs a Tail, are good to start.

4 Likes

I haven’t read mysteries in a very long time, and recently wanted to get back to it. I’m introducing myself to Agatha Christie and can heartily recommend Kenneth Branagh’s narration of Murder on the Orient Express. I volunteer as a book narrator at my local talking book and braille library, and am particularly aware of and impressed by how extraordinary Branagh’s narration is.

I’m currently finishing up my Bottom Line Pullover while listening, and feeling very happy about it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Realize I’m late to the party, but thought I’d add to the British mystery writer thread. You may want to check out Dorothy Sayers’ novels starring Harriet Vane (a thoroughly modern woman for her time—between WW I and II) and Lord Peter Whimsey. First in the series is Strong Poison.

7 Likes

These are great. My local library had some as audio books which are basically read as plays.

1 Like

One more author to listen to! Adrian McKinty writes wonderful mysteries set primarily in Northern Ireland. --One police series is with Inspector Sean Duffy. --They are all read superbly by Gerard Doyle. --Now these are not “cozy”; plenty of violence and a bit dark- but great plots, interesting background around the “troubles” in Northern Ireland, -great listens.

5 Likes

Oh! I hope I can remember to check back here! Great topic!

2 Likes

Along with Maisie Dobbs by Jacquline Winspear, the Louise Penny books , the #1 ladies detective series by Alexander McCall Smith I also love the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley the first being “Sweetness at the bottom of the Pie”.

2 Likes