Help: First Time Buying Yarn Virtually

Hello. I’ve always gone into the yarn shop and received guidance in selecting appropriate yarn. I want to knit Tild by Orlane Sucche. Suggested gauge is 20 st and 28 rows over 4 inches, needles size 6, 4 and 3. I don’t want to adjust pattern for a different gauge. I would like a wool or wool blend yarn with beautiful drape. I’m considering Mohonk by JDMS. Would this yarn work? Any other suggestions from the MDK shop?
Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hi Barbaralynn!

Happy first post! Welcome and I’m happy to meet you.

I’m making a shawl right now out of Mohonk (Halimede by Ysolda) and although I’ve never been a stickler about gauge, I think you might be happier with something in a true sport or dk weight. I am a fairly accurate gauge knitter, as far as needle size goes, and my gauge on the Halimede is about 8 stitches and 12 rows per inch, garter, on an American size 6 Addi Rocket needle.

I love the Mohonk, and I am using the sport weight, but I gotta say that it’s what I would normally call a heavy fingering weight and I don’t think a 5 stitch per inch is going to be possible. I just measured my very small amount of stockingette, and a single stitch is just under 1/8”. I think I would get something more standard, and save the Mohonk for something with a smaller gauge.

Hope this helps!

image|375x500

2 Likes

Hi! You could always double up a heavy fingering weight, for making a more substantial fabric and a blended look with 2 yarns of slightly different color or value! Experiment and have fun!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Deb. Your response was super helpful!

That sounds beautiful and fun. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. There’s another thing you should take into account when you are substituting yarns–grist! I did the math for you (it’s super easy) and the Nua Sport in the MDK shop should be perfect. I am using it right now for an Arcade Cap and it is a delightful yarn.

Regarding “getting gauge” just remember that it’s not a contest. You could be using the exact same yarn and the exact same needles as the designer and still get a very different gauge because one of you knits tighter (or looser) than the other. If you’re doing a substitution, it’s usually a good idea to match the yarn the designer used and then swatch.

That said, and if it’s any help, I’m getting 6 stitches to the inch on a size 4 needle with the Nua so I don’t think it would be an unreasonable expectation to get 5 stitches to the inch on a size 6. I’m generally pretty middle of the road on my tension. Try the Nua Sport. It’s really a lovely yarn and there are beautiful colors in the MDK shop.

Here’s a link to learn more about grist. It’s a game changer if you sub yarns a lot. https://www.masondixonknitting.com/grist-secret-measurement-substituting-yarn/

1 Like

I’m so excited about the Nua yarn that I was late to my zoom pilates class! I am ordering the chalk and plum.
You’re right… The article about grist is a game changer for me and will help so much in choosing/understanding yarns.
Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Barbaralynn, I recently completed the Aine sweater using Nua sport yarn. I love the yarn, it makes a lightweight and drapey fabric and is soft to wear. I wore the sweater next to skin. And it’s very unusual in looks with the heathered look that’s created with the mix of merino, yak and linen yarns. I consider myself a not too tight, not too loose kind of knitter and on size 5 needles I got 22 stitches and 33 rows so 5.5 stitches and about 8 rows per inch. IF you knit about the same, you should get close to the gauge you are trying to get on size 6 needles. It’s a lovely yarn. I’ve also bought the deeper green to make another sweater.

5 Likes

I think that you’ll be very happy with this yarn!

Your sweater is so beautiful. Thanks for the gauge information!

1 Like

Thank you and you are very welcome!