If MDK Comments are Broken, Leave One Here

P.S. DG, you are sooooo funny. Your columns just make my day. Thank you for being irreverently zany.

1 Like

When I was growing up, we camped in Upper Michigan. One August we were sitting around the campfire when we heard a lot of excitement. We followed others to a small beach and there we watched the Northern Lights. Wow, so amazing! Still can’t quite believe it happened.

2 Likes

The most amazing thing I saw was remnants of the Northern Lights when we were living in Massachusetts about 40 years ago. I will never forget how the colors looked splashed across the sky.

2 Likes

The most amazing thing I have experienced was swimming with luminescent fish. Just happened, didn’t plan it. I was in long island sound one hot evening and went for a swim. Even my hands were leaving luminescent streaks - otherworldly!

1 Like

Commenting on DG Strong’s essay and hoping to win that skein of Firefly sock yarn. I live in California now and terribly miss the fireflies I grew up with in Southern Illinois. An uncle would catch a bunch and put them under his tee shirt, delighting us with the light show. I think they did all go out in unison! We called them lightening bugs. Great memories. Now a trip to see them at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is on my bucket list. Sorry, I have no better term.

1 Like

Lying on the end of the dock at night at the cabin taking in the dizzying number of stars in the sky is always very thrilling.

2 Likes

Wonderous sights - Waiting till past 11:00 pm to finish watching the looong summer sunset in Northern Alberta, seeing Aurora Borealis on dark drives home, seeing the hoar frost coating all the trees and power lines on foggy winter mornings.

2 Likes

Moment of wonder…
Kayaking in St Croix on a full moon night playing with dinoflagellates in the water. These tiny organisms glow in ocean water when disturbed. Each time the kayak paddle moved through the water it looked like thousands of sparkles of fairy dust.

One more, watching a meteor shower with my husband through night vision goggles. We have no idea how many things are really zipping around out there!

2 Likes

I am responding to D G Strong…I love your writing and usually lol.

My husband and I were returning home from a trip to the Blue Ridge mountains. We were post in W VA and I spotted a huge number of “lightning bugs” off the side of the highway. Probably the most I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately my husband didn’t get the same view as he was concentrating on driving. But, it was amazing.

I was one of those kids who caught them and put them in jars. In recent years I have become concerned at not seeing as many. I think it may have to do with people using herbicides and insecticides on their yards. But in my immediate neighborhood there seem to be more again. I don’t think many of the neighbors treat their yards. You can watch them rise out of the grass…then later you can look up in the trees and watch them flash. It’s like the trees are twinkling.

2 Likes

RE: Atlas Insider: Fireflies
This sounds lovely (except maybe the guys in jorts…) I’ve never seen fireflies - we don’t have them here - but they sound so magical

2 Likes

Skill Set: Beginnings
Congratulations MDK🎉 This is so exciting! I can’t wait to try your new yarn-Atlas.

2 Likes

Skill Set is entirely brilliant! As each of my granddaughters reached the “right age”, I put together such a thing to introduce them to the knitting world! It is much harder to create a “box of joy” than one might think! 2 of the 4 of them blossomed into knitters immediately. The other two….well, maybe later! I am quite delighted about spreading then joy with this beautiful set!

4 Likes

Fireflies are amazing to watch, but my moment of wonder this week happened during the day. While walking with my dog we saw a young buck, antlers covered in new velvet running and bounding through an unmoved field. The sheer beauty had us stop and just watch in awe.

2 Likes

Excellent idea, this beginner’s kit. It’s slow, I know, but we WILL take over the world eventually.

4 Likes

That’s the plan. :yarn:

3 Likes

Just for future reference @Arlene , what was the “right age” with your grandaughters?

We don’t see fireflies here in MA. Used to see them in Bayside, NY where we had a catch and release program with my daughter. They are magical.

Another magical thing: seeing lava flow from the volcano in Hawaii. Watching it tumble into the ocean. Seeing small bushes go up in flames as the lava creeps up to them. Pretty wild stuff.

2 Likes

A moment of wonder: Watching the five Brown Creeper hatchlings fledge, emerging for the first time from their nest which was hidden in the space between the birdhouse and the tree.

1 Like

On the wonder of fireflies… I live in Minnesota. My awestruck moment was seeing the Northern Lights for the first time. Gobsmacked.

2 Likes

I’ve always lived in the west, so never saw fireflies until a family cross country trip in 1990. We stopped in Memphis, TN to visit my aunt and saw fireflies under a magnolia tree (also a first). We were all thrilled!

2 Likes