Marlalong! We're knitting Field Guide No. 19: Marls

Starting small, with the striped hat, since I have a lot of other knitted/sewn projects needing to be finished by mid-December. Decided to try using some stash yarn that I wasn’t sure what to do with. Like it so far, we’ll see how the combo fares as I make more progress.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see it in person. Love, love, love the colors!

1 Like

It’s a little fiddlier and really nice,a working link is here

3 Likes

Moving along, love when the color changes out

7 Likes

I’d like to make a larger version of the Color Explosion but not repeat any of the color combinations. Any thoughts on how the color changes were made? Are those 4 strips of 18 rows all the possible unique combinations for the eleven colors? What if I wanted to use 15 colors? I’m sure a mathematician or programmer could figure it out quickly but so far I’m stumped. All I can think of so far is listing the colors in one column, then again in the next column, offsetting by one. Though that won’t keep a consistent color across the top or bottom, which is a nice touch in the Color Explosion pattern. Maybe coffee will help me think. Thanks!

1 Like

That will get you more than 100 options

2 Likes

I am tempted by that. I may end up adding it to my list.

2 Likes

I have a spectra sweater back!

16 Likes

Me too! We must be on about the same pace :grinning:. It’s fun to see the colors everyone has chosen!

16 Likes

Yours looks great! I was too scared to change the colors too much. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yours looks great, too! It has a nice autumn feel, perfect for right now.

1 Like

Brilliant!

1 Like

Hello - I want to knit this from my stash but worried about the different weights of yarn that I have. Did you use different types of yarn? Like 2 fingering weights together and then a worsted weight? That is the only thing that worries me.
Debra

1 Like

May I ask a really sad question? Do I use the two yarns together throughout the scarf? I’m so confused about how marling begins - lots of suggestions in the field guide about creative alternatives, but not a simple, “This is how you start with two balls of yarn.” Yours are lovely - how did you go about it?

4 Likes

Yes, you use 2 throughout. And, not sad, just new!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Yes. You hold the two yarns together and treat it as one yarn through the whole project The ombré lace doubled up is essentially the same as a fingering weight yarn.
Feel free to ask me any questions.

Jan

3 Likes

Started my swarf today. Love the yarn

3 Likes

I’m so torn on the Swarf. Maybe I’ll add it to my far down the road list of projects. Can’t wait to see the progress on yours

2 Likes

Knitting done on my scarf. Will post a better photo after a soak.

8 Likes