Project Peace KAL

ok i downloaded the pattern and will cast on later today. For me Peace occurs when I honor my commitments to myself. My commitments for today are to write and do some gift knitting and cast on for this project which I will do as an advent event daily.
I do have some shelter loft in my stash!

4 Likes

I cast on twice, once Wednesday evening-had more than 10 ft. of tail left (I stopped measuring when I got to 10 ft.). Took it out, moved my starting position and started it again. I finished on the 1st and started knitting. I still have like 2-3 ft. of tail left but decided for 318 sts I was not casting on a 3rd time.

318 stitches on circular needles does not equal peaceful knitting to me! I like my needles long and straight, so I modified the pattern to knit flat with i-cord edging on each side (in contrasting color). The wrangling of three yarn balls might not be considered ā€œpeaceful,ā€ either, but I stop and detangle every now and then in a very zen-like manner. :slight_smile: Details on my Ravelry page!

8 Likes

Wow! Exciting! I look forward to see the finished result!

Been knitting a little more than 4 rows pr day
Liking this yarn! Dont know why I waited four years to knit with it!

3 Likes

I have found myself taking this very seriously and really contemplating peace while I am working on it. I have always believed that the word peace should be a verb, not a noun. Yesterday morning, while I was looking through the stash, I realized that I didnā€™t want to do it in fingering weight and I didnā€™t want it that long. I have some beautiful heavy DK that wanted to be this cowl so I let it be what it was meant to be. Acceptanceā€“thereā€™s a step toward peace. Then I reduced the number of stitches to make it the size I wanted it to be while keeping the integrity of the pattern. It felt collaborative to me which also felt peaceful. Then I realized that I had made it way too small so I ripped it out and started all over which also made me feel very peaceful. Itā€™s very easy for me to get frustrated when something goes wrong but the contemplative tone that I am taking with this put me in a different place. The first (correct) repeat was finished quietly on the couch this morning and will finish todayā€™s work tonight.

6 Likes

I just posted this on the Ravelry group, and thought I would cross-post here since I found Project Peace through this thread!

So I was sitting here knitting away (still struggling with the i-cord cast on, as my time and energy to knit is sparse these past two days), and my BF called and read me a poem heā€™d just written. It felt so right for this project ā€“ not precisely, but just in that sort of evocative way poetry has ā€” I decided to record him reading it. You can hear it at https://clyp.it/zipfwzjv . Peace, everybody!

4 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing this.

1 Like

I finished the I cord cast on. Phew. That was a long one!
I found two slightly different colors of Loft in my stash so I though maybe they would be interesting. they are both kind of tan so I figured they would blend.
Peace for me today was reelaxing after my son got married in a lovely intimate ceremony yesterday. I claimed the couch and did not get out of my jammies all day and I did this new to me type of cast on. It may be a gift or it may be for me.

3 Likes

Peace for me is taking the easy way out :wink: not doin any i-cord cast on or bind off. Is everyone doing it?

1 Like

I didnā€™t do the i-cord cast on either and Iā€™m doing the i-cord bind off. I thought about itā€“it looks like fun and I might learn something new. But then I thought about it and decided that I needed this peace project to start with what Iā€™ve got and use that to set a solid base for it Iā€™m making this at a larger gauge than the pattern so I will finish before the 21 days. Iā€™ll cast on another one then and try the new things. I like the feeling of organic growth that I get from that plan.

1 Like

nope, I am doing just a regular longtail cast on and plan to do a regular bind off. That is peaceful for me.

I did a garter stitch border, which is really my favorite. And I noticed that I skipped a round in part of the pattern - and just kept going.

2 Likes

My sister talked me into this. Iā€™m using way fatter yarn and cast on 90 stitches. I donā€™t think thatā€™s cheating because she gave me the yarn a long time ago. I caught up on the repeats yesterday, after swatching, and still didnā€™t like my results so I ripped it out and started over with a larger needed. Came to the office an hour early with it, got almost caught up.

2 Likes

Just downloaded the pattern, and picked out some yarn from a long hibernating project that will be repurposed for a Christmas gift for a friend. Project Peace seemed an appropriate pattern for a Christmas gift.

1 Like

has anyone else noticed that the stitch pattern is peaceful?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for posting about this! I had it in my library but had completely forgotten about it. Now Iā€™ll start diving for yarn. Thanks again.

Good tip. Iā€™m currently looking for that sort of sock pattern.

1 Like

When casting on lots of stitches with long tail, I either use two balls or both ends from the same ball. Thereā€™s an extra end to weave in but no measuring is ever required and one always has enough yarn! BTW, I think Ann may have posted about this recently. Maybe?

1 Like

I love your yarn! It looks beautiful.