Summer of Wandering Socks KAL

On Monday, June 17, we announce the Summer of Wandering Socks Knitalong, featuring designs from MDK Field Guide No. 11: Wanderlust.

We’ll repost the details here on Monday, but consider this the place to do all your sock plotting and planning, plus boasting and bragging.

Join us!

18 Likes

So exciting! I am in for this one…ordered the field guide and deciding on my yarn…wheeeee!:grin:

7 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this KAL. I am an avid sock knitter. I will begin with some hedgehog yarn I have in my stash but am trying to decide which yarn fom the MDK to do the second pair from. We have all summer right? I ordered my book last week so am trying to be patient for its arrival.

8 Likes

Me too! I have never completed a full sweater, but I love knitting socks so this KAL is for me. I ordered the Field Guide and a Spud & Chloe Fine sock yarn in a nice basic grey and plan an allover pattern, maybe the Elongated corded rib or Basketweave.

6 Likes

A KAL I can get behind! Cool!

6 Likes

I want to join!

I don’t have my Wanderlust Field Guide yet, though and might have to wait and join later. Over the past two weeks I’ve spent so much $$ on paint for our house and to pay the people doing the work.
Then, last week my small pocket-size digital camera that I carry with me all the time decided to retire. So, I had to buy another one. You would think that someone who already owned 40+ cameras wouldn’t need another one, but, none of the others fit in a pocket.

5 Likes

This is a KAL I might actually be able to join. I’m tired of my current bus commute project…it’s scarf no one needs until winter. Are any of the patterns for two at a time on circular needles?

4 Likes

I think these patterns work for the 2-at-a-time technique, but I’d appreciate it if someone with expertise would weigh in. (The Field Guide does not instruct on this technique.)

I’m knitting mine one at a time but on 2 circs, the Cat Bordhi way. I think I’ll knit my next pair on Addi Flips just to see how I like those for socks. (Didn’t really fall in love with them for knitting sleeves in the round, but I think that might have had to do with wrestling the big sweater attached to the sleeves…)

6 Likes

If you want to peek, you should have gotten an email from us with a download code for the digital version of the Field Guide.

Welcome to the KAL!

1 Like

My next pair (which will be my second pair of socks ever) is in the Spud & Chloe, with contrasting heels and toes.

3 Likes

I’m in for this one. Love having a sock on my needles even when I’ve got another project going-(which I have).

4 Likes

The field guide came in today’s mail. I will also down load it into my tablet.
Must make time to wind the yarn from the hank into a ball. Then should be ready to begin.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m thinking I’m be adventurous and give it a go!

1 Like

I am in “Camp Kay” that this will only be my second pair of socks. My first Wanderlust socks will be my Shakerag Sock Blank, but I am excited to choose a second yarn after that. Going off to Google Cat Bordhi method on two circulars…

6 Likes

It’s my very favorite way to knot socks. Takes a little practice but you’ll catch on.:blush:

3 Likes

Knit, stupid auto-correct!!

3 Likes

So excited to join this KAL. Just bought my Wanderlust 11 and am scoping out the yarn. My first sock KAL. Great way to begin using up some of my 75 skeins of sock yarn.

8 Likes

From what I saw on Instagram, I think Nell is knitting two at once with her sock blank. Exciting!

1 Like

I’m doing mine 2 at a time, although the patterns are written as one at a time.
If you use magic loop:
The main difference is that when you cast on top down, you will cast on 1/2 of the cuff stitches (but pull enough tail for all of the stitches), then with the other end or 2nd ball cast on all of the cuff stitches. Pull the magic loop at the halfway point of the full number of stitches, then continue to cast on the second half of the first sock. I may need to work a small sample of this to share.

11 Likes

Anxious to receive my Wandering Socks field guide. Have tons of yarn, need to choose a pattern. I am partial to two-at-a-time, magic loop and toe up. Love trying them on as I go.

8 Likes