Refreshalong: The Transom Cardigan Seminar Meets Here

Here I am again. Made it through the Right side, now on the left front “shape neck and armhole.” The first row Neck Increase I think there is an extra increase in that instruction that shouldn’t be there (the M1R at the last 2 sts) and then it says “I st inc.” but if you do a M1L and a M1R there would be 2 st. incr. I think this is just a typo.

I am going to do exactly what I did on the right side just reversed…

2 Likes

That’s exactly right. I saw that and mention it to them and that will be a correction going forward. When you get to the body it will tell you to knit to 4 before the marker. They mean to knit to 2 before the marker. That will also be in the corrections corner

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! (I am loving this project - the yarn, the construction, this forum!). Learning so much…have a great day :sunny:

So glad you posted your photo. I saw that mine looked a little different and realized what I had done wrong. Starting over. Thanks.

1 Like

How do you know when the cap on the shoulder is done - for my size it tells me to pick up 26 stitches on each side of the saddle and then it says to do the wrap and turn 20 times - so that seems like it is wrap and turn all the way around until you almost get to the stitches picked up under the arm - is that right? Because i picked up a few more than in the directions so i would guess that means i should do the wrap and turn a few more times too - is that right?

I just did the wraps and turns until i got to the end of where the underarm stitches were and it worked out just fine. I just tried it on and it fits!!! Yipppeeeeee

3 Likes

I started my transom before the official #refreshalong started. I’m nearly done with the 1sr sleeve.

I’m a reluctant sweater knitter as I have trouble with fit. I was careful to swatch and measure myself. I substituted WYS Illusion for Nua, as I didn’t want the wool/linen blend, and I had a sweater quantity of the Illusion in a nice neutral tan color which will help me get lots of use from my cardigan.

The Cardi is my reward for a very significant weight loss (three digit number). I’m not quite to my final goal, but close enough to be worth investing the time and effort in a sweater that should continue to fit, even at my final weight loss goal.

I have tired on my sweater in progress and the fit seems perfect. I wasn’t sure about length for the body, so I left the stitches on a long circular needle cord at the point where I might start the ribbing and will see better how long I want it to be after I try it on with both sleeves finished, where it will “hang better” from my shoulders.

It’s been great knitting during some zoom meetings as the cable panels are very intuitive after a few repeats. I stopped needing the charts.

The construction has been very cool. Like putting together a puzzle. Follow the directions and a sweater appears!

I never did a short row set in sleeve cap. I love the construction method and the fit!

4 Likes

I started it on some stash yarn, and then decided to bow to my internal desire, and bought Nua sport. Just waiting for it to arrive!

1 Like

Can Carol explain why we need to block the sweater before putting on the button band? I”m working on the second sleeve and contemplating this.

Also for the second sleeve I forgot to NOT pick up the wraps so my first sleeve is done per the instructions and the second one was done by second nature - I’m calling it a design element. I was half way through the cap when I remembered that i wasn’t supposed to be picking up the wraps. Oh well.

I’ve decided to take would the second sleeve - I’m not happy with my design element - gives me more time to contemplate blocking before doing the button band

1 Like

@ema2two I’m like you and am working on the sleeves before finishing the length. I think I’m going to make mine longer in back, with a narrower bottom rib, but I’m not sure yet, plus, need to make sure I have enough yarn.

Decades ago, Threads magazine had an article about making top down set in sleeves, and I always thought it was an interesting idea, but I couldn’t figure out what the heck they were taking about, so I couldn’t get it to work. This construction is so cool, I’m really liking it, too.

And congratulations on the weight loss! This sweater seems like a really nice way to celebrate!

I’m not Carol, but I know that some people suggest blocking because it makes it easier to pick up along the edges.

Having said that, I did not block mine before doing the bands and collar.

1 Like

Thanks for that - I’m not going to block mine either before the bands and collar

BTW, here it is —

I am very happy with how it turned out! I only made minor adjustments: 1/2” longer in the body, 1” longer in the sleeves, one extra buttonhole.

And, yes, I am modeling in my pj bottoms.

18 Likes

Hi again - hope someone can help with this question. I have just finished the short rows on the sleeve cap and the next instruction says to "Work to underarm; join, pm for beg of rnd, and work in the rnd as follows: " My question is does the marker go in to middle of the underarm or at the edge of the underarm? Earlier in the pattern it said to put a marker in the middle of the underarm stitches so therein lies my confusion/uncertainty…THANKS!!

GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing. I’m also doing mine in kitten fluff

1 Like

I put my marker in the middle of the underarm - that is what i do with all my sweaters

thank you! that is what I will do also. have a great day! :smile: :sunny:

Beautiful! You must be so pleased!

1 Like

@jrs beautiful! That is really nice work, and motivation for me!

1 Like

My yarn arrived Thursday. Friday I hand wound skein#1 while on a zoom meeting. :smiley:. Swatched Friday night and started Saturday. All of your tips so far have been very helpful. Just noticed that the four places where I’ve picked up stitches all look different. Clearly that’s a technique I’ve never paid much attention to before. Oh well. I’m loving the pattern… The combination of cabling sans cable needle and then straight stockinette is perfect.

2 Likes

For those of you who have finished - about how much yarn did you use for the front and neck bands? If I reserve one skein for that, will it be enough? In want to make my sweater a little longer than the plan. Thanks in advance!