Share Your Wool Blanket Labels!

Inspired by Clara Parkes, here’s a place to share photos and memories of old wool blankets.

Think: Antiques Road Show, but the heirlooms are all woven wool.

Whose was it? How’d you get it? Do they still make them?

9 Likes

This blanket is a beautiful quad of one gold, one black and two mingles. Lovely, but not terribly old.

4 Likes

One of the few things I “took” from my first marriage (besides my lovely daughters, of course). I was happy to let my husband have the silver, the. lamouges china, the crystal but I hung on to the wool blanket. I am currently out on the road on an adventure and the blanket is with me. I love this blanket. I have no idea how old it is.

8 Likes

From Faribault Woolen Mills!

6 Likes

From Annie Belle Creations. She makes custom coats from the blankets she collects - so warm and cozy!

2 Likes

What a fun post! I’ve enjoyed seeing all the labels and reading the stories. I’m originally from Pittsburgh and remember Gimbels department store. Here are two of our blankets.

The first is my husband’s Hudson Bay Point Blanket that he received on his 10th birthday (he’s now 71). It graced his bed on frigid Maine mornings, traveled up and down the East Coast with him and now is ALWAYS on our bed in South Carolina, even if you have to kick it off in the summer. Well loved and well used!

6 Likes

The second is quite the opposite. I found this salmon pink Kenwood blanket when cleaning out my parents’ home. It is pristine. I never remembered seeing it, appearing as though it was never used. My Mom probably had it tucked away for a special guest or just to have because you might need it (Depression Era parents). It fondly remains in my closet for just those reasons!

8 Likes

My mother was from the Netherlands. I got this lap blanket when my parents passed.

6 Likes

Sorry! I couldn’t figure out how to turn the photo, so took a second one.

7 Likes

My Granny passed away unexpectedly in the fall of 1974. She always saved for Christmas in one of those bank “Christmas Clubs” so my mother took that money and bought us 4 grandkids gifts at the holiday. I don’t know if we all got blankets but I got this beauty!

7 Likes

The label on a beautiful cream blanket which I inherited from my mother. My parents had a sheep-farm on the Cumbrian Fells and sent the fleeces off to the Wool Marketing Board in a huge sack, after my father had clipped the sheep by hand.

7 Likes

My wool blanket label is sadly all but gone but I can see a ram’s head and the word Wool. It was my maternal grandmother’s; I don’t know anything more about it.

4 Likes

I immediately went off to photograph the labels on the wool blankets handed down to me from my parents when I saw Clara’s post yesterday.
The Hudson Bay blanket was a wedding gift to my parents in 1955 and they used it regularly(it was kept out) until they passed.

I am not aware of the history of the other two blankets. One has lovely two toned pink stripes of varying widths at one end(I guess the top end) on a off white/cream blanket and the other is plain pink with satin binding top and bottom.

Sooo warm with such a nice weight to them.
Thank you for this post and for reminding me of my parents who of think of every day

7 Likes

Found on the bed I’m sleeping in at my parent’s house. Not exactly sure how old this is but it was on their bed when I was a kid. When I get home I’ll get the tag from the one given to us as a wedding gift.

Further research [JP Stevens](https://www.britannica.com/biography/J-P-Stevens

5 Likes

I was able to get to one label from a lap blanket belonged to my great grandfather. I’m not sure of where or why he got it, but I love it!

I also have a more recent blanket from woolrich:

6 Likes

This wool blanket was my carriage blanket when I was a baby in early 1952. I was born on Long Island so I guess it came from New York .

7 Likes

This reminds me of a long ago blanket that was mine! It would have been a similar age, and my parents both came from LI.

3 Likes

I love that you saw this ! It’s one of the few things I have from my childhood and I treasure it :slight_smile: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I have two blankets, both acquired when we emptied my in-laws’ house and cottage. One is a beautiful black-white-and-gray, luxuriously fringed throw. I took a nap under it just this afternoon. I never saw it used at the cottage, but always admired it and was overjoyed when none of the other siblings and in-laws had any interest in it. Mine, all mine! The other is a tremendously heavy, full-size blanket that we found, along with wedding and christening dresses, a back brace, and an enormous punch bowl with a tray and twelve matching cups, in the last place in the house we searched, the linen closet. This was a Notre Dame family, and this is most definitely a Notre Dame blanket. In addition to this logo there is another small one on the opposite corner of the blanket and a big one in the center. My father-in-law’s name is embroidered in gold along one end. At least three people could have stayed both warm and dry under this blanket on wintry football Saturdays in South Bend. In fact, this wool, which the label says is “reused,” seems slightly felted, which would halve kept those people even warmer and drier. image image

4 Likes

A friend in my knitting group was so thrilled when she found out I love wool blankets, that she gave me this one! Folded in half, it covers the top of a twin mattress, & I use it under my bottom sheet, as it makes my bed warmer to sleep on

5 Likes