Socks and Blocks Knitalong 2020

I may join you in the Shakerag Top… I actually have some yarn in my stash!

2 Likes

Thank you. Those are some that I hand dyed. Mixed with some bamboo/cotton yarn.

1 Like

Be my guest!

Love to join the partially completed socks brigade, if only I can work out how to download a picture… :laughing:

6 Likes

Hi! I have never done a KAL before, and don’t usually talk on forums, but I sure do love seeing all the sock ideas people come up with! I am a crocheter who finally cracked knitting maybe 8 months ago, although I have been making socks on a loom for years. I’m excited to participate! I usually make socks 2 at a time, toe up because how long to make the leg becomes a matter of how I am feeling on a particular day and how much yarn I have left. I finished these last Friday! Made with some clearance yarn I had impulse bought. -Alyssa

6 Likes

Like your idea - hadn’t thought about doing that - might make good windshield knitting - Thor’s going to be quite a bit of that this summer

This video series is what really clicked for me doing toe up! This lady has lots of good videos/explanations

4 Likes

Way to go, Alyssa! It must be fun to have a sock loom–ZING and you’re done!

1 Like

Ok, fastest socks ever, thanks to Covid and this KAL my bedsocks are finished.

Yarn from Miss Babs, Estrellita and Moonglow together

6 Likes

HI Debra, are your grandchildren young girls? how many stitches do you use for the foot. I have a lot of yarn left from my bedsocks and want to make socks for them.

MR. OTIS! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN–you are the finest of sock machines.

2 Likes

No longer young - the oldest is 22 and the youngest just turned 16. But we’ve been making socks their entire lives. :slight_smile: I use 72 stitches for both of them- no change in numbers for the foot. Every year we do a new drawing of their feet so we can be saure their socks will still fit. Ad I think fFrankensocks are a great idea and so much fun to make!!

2 Likes

So sorry about your health issue. I think you are very brave to push yourself and I think its the right thing to do. Go slow…its not a race, and enjoy all the posts while you knit a little each day that you feel up to it!

4 Likes

I’m just going to have to have to try the toe up socks. I have mastered the cuff down. here is a video for the gusset mastery. Let me see if I can put in a link. If not here is the site

I love this video by Jen Arnall Culliford. The technique is so clear heel turn, heel flap and gusset
I bought Jen Arnall Culliford’s book; A Year of Techniques through MDK. It comes with videos and I found this one. She has lots of others plus a Toe Up Video everyone on the lounge is saying Toe Up is the way to go so I’ll have to try it.

4 Likes

I’m going to be bold. I’ve read and reread the instructions. I think I’ve got it plus Nellknits gave me a great site to get help if I’m confused and wouldn’t you guess it’s an MDK site and a knitalong. Here’s the site. https://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/shakerag-top-knitalong Now I need to order my yarn. I hate budget constraints.
Be Safe All.

3 Likes

Jennifer,

I’m going to try toe up socks. Here’s a video that will help with Gussets. See my post which did not get to you Jen Arnall-Cullifford heel turn, heel flap and the dangerous Gusset stitches A Year of Tehcniques.

Cheers Sue

1 Like

We all have our own versions of finish-itis, single sock syndrome, never-ending WIP pile - my issue is that just as I turn the corner toward the finish line on a project, I become obsessed with choosing the next project and casting on. I generally still finish the one underway, but I ALWAYS start the next one first! Today, before I finish the socks on the needles, I just had to cast on for the next pair - time for Zauberball stripes. I’ll finish the boot-sock blues - but now stripey tall socks underway, too :wink:

4 Likes

Here is the sock I’ve been working on. It was inspired by Ceclia Campochiaro’s new book “Making Marls” and the MDK Wanderlust Field Guide. Just to let you know, I never seem to get the patterns right. So I just forge ahead and make my own. I managed with the help of Jen Arnall-Culliford’s video to master the portions of the sock I was having problems with. Toes and Kitchner stitch no problem. She has a great video on that as well. I swatched, washed and put in the dryer my samples. They came out great probably because of the nylon and poly in the 3 yarns I used. Here are the yarns Jody Long’s My Little Sunshine cotton/poly Sugarplum, Hedge Hog Fibers merino wool/nylon Fools Gold, and Berroco’s Mykonos Linen Nylon and cotton. After the swatch and wash test which had no shrinking and no color bleeding. The swatches came out surprisingly supple and soft. I marled away and used the seersucker texture from Wanderlust. Here’s where I am so far:

I’ve tried my sock on and the only drawback seems to be less stretch but perhaps after washing and finishing the toes things will be better. I’ve learned a lot. (I come from the school of don’t mix your fiber types wool with cotton.)

Cheers Sue

5 Likes

Cotton and wool do seem like strange bedfellows, but they can also work wonderfully together.

2 Likes

Pretty. Will look forward to seeing the end product!

1 Like