Team Blanket No. 2.3: The Pickup Joint

A frog’s call sounds like ‘rib-it’. When we just pull everything off the needles and pull the knitting out it’s said we ‘rip-it’. That’s why we sometimes ‘tink’ (unknit a part) or ‘frog’ (pull it off the needles and ‘rip-it’).

4 Likes

Oh cool!! Now frog it makes sense
Thanks riker.lynn😁

Well that makes perfect sense. Thanks, Lynn!!

This Yarn Harlot post from 2009 is the clearest explanation I have seen for picking up in garter. Good pictures too.
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/2009/06/pickup_lines/

With practice I’m doing better with the pickups but when adding the extra 18 stitches still not sure how to avoid the ditch!

5 Likes

Thx very much for sharing yarn harlot’s post; I am still unable to identify the right place to pick up on garter edge even with her pics​:confused: Sometimes I think I’ve got the right spot, then I lose it going down the row! I have however been successful using the pics Karen had posted earlier:) and my gutters are less obvious by using a couple tips posted last week: using a needle 2 sizes smaller to pickup & knit, using left index finger instead of thumb to cast on 18 st. However, that row is obviously smaller by using a size 6 instead of an 8 :hushed:!

Yes, this is a great link. Thanks for sharing. I think I read it earlier, but this time it makes more sense.

Really, you’re probably all picking up stitches perfectly but just haven’t built the confidence yet. It’s a somewhat fiddly process and it’s very easy to see our own faults rather than our successes. So much of life–and knitting–is a matter of experience.

The more you do it, the more you’ll believe in it.

I still get a cheap thrill every time I turn a heel on a sock even though I’ve done it a bazillion times. But I also still have to check the directions every time.

3 Likes

Not easy to show both public side and wrong side so you can see how much the pickup looks like where I changed color on the miter sections. Hope this helps those who struggle with the log cabin borders. Happy International Day of Peace.

3 Likes