Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

Made it to the end of January and snapped my needle at the cable join. The postman will bringing me a replacement this week. Knitting like mad on a different project so I don’t have to think about it. Sending love to the knitters in Upstate New York digging out from under all that snow. Stay warm out there!

3 Likes

Two thirds done with my 40th wedding anniversary temperature blanket!! LOVE how it’s coming along and working on it each early morning is the ticket. So fun!!

10 Likes

So I’ve spent forever lurking in this community and I think it’s time to finally contribute!
I love the idea of temperature projects and have a few unconventional ideas for some I’d like to do in the future (but documenting past years that were significant to me), but for now I have something a little unique to share.

So I’m an environmentalist and a yarn dyer friend of mine shares my beliefs and she came up with a scarf pattern based off the past 100 years of global average temperature, so it’s a visual representation of climate change. She also put together a limited number of kits of cotton yarn that she’s dyed specifically for the pattern (which is free) so of course I bought one of the kits. I’m 33 years into it, so I’m 33% done, each year is 4 rows thick.

I tucked the ends under it to make the photo cleaner XD

16 Likes

I love this idea!

4 Likes

It also functions as craftivism as I can use it as a conversation starter to trick people into listening to me talk about climate change and have a visual representation of how quickly we heated the planet up >=D

10 Likes

When this blanket measured over 5 feet long, I decided to do historical averages for the month of December. I needle felted the steek, and cut this big baby open yesterday. I decided to do steek sandwiches for the borders, so this will take forever to finish,

13 Likes

Hello, my name is February 5 and I am back in business!

8 Likes

Greetings from September 29th…

Help! I’m coming up on the end of September and am just a tiny bit short on a color. Any chance anyone here has some bits of Felted Tweed in color 203 (electric green)? I think I’ll need like 10 grams at most and it feels like a shame to buy another whole ball. Let me know, I’m happy to pay for shipping!

(here is a pic up to August)

9 Likes

I have ~half a ball of Electric Green that I’m happy to send to you!

5 Likes

Wow I was not expecting such a speedy response! Thank you! Email me kyrabornong@gmail.com and we can figure out details.

2 Likes

Your blanket is beautiful!

2 Likes

I have some. Where are you? I’m in Yonkers NY. Happy to meet up if you’re in the NY Metro area. Otherwise I can pop some in the mail.

1 Like

November 6

That’s amazing!

You could just buy more yarn. LOL Heck, buy enough to knit a whole 'nother blanket in 2023. LOL

1 Like

Thank you for the offer! I think @mmouse15 has got me covered.

3 Likes

And just like that, it’s December 1st! Thirty one more days in 2022 until cast off (if you’re doing the calendar year) and it still seems like we’ve just started.

I’m still way behind (Hello, my name is July 17th) but I’m on track to finish by year end. I’ve really surprised myself. Since Kay threw out her challenge, I’ve done 104 days. And that includes November 17th to the 22nd when I didn’t knit on it at all (I was in Nashville, the blanket was in NY).

I’ve got a little weekly card that lives in the yarn bucket so I know what’s coming up and it’s been such pleasant work.

Is anyone else thinking about 2023? I’ve already done my color chart for the new year and made sure that I have enough of my colors to get me started. That monthly 10% off coupon that comes with the Field Guide subscription is going to make planning and shopping a lot easer.

I’ve got a few other things in the works that I’ll share soon.

For me, the holiday season really kicks off on American Thanksgiving and this year I thought a lot about how grateful I am for this community. I do my best to celebrate as many of the seasonal holidays as I can so am looking forward to wishing you all a Happy Everything!

7 Likes

November 18th here.
Too hilarious! I just realized that the square I’m halfway done with is my birthday square. I’ve just been plugging along at three squares per day.

Yes! 2023 is on my mind. I cannot decide if I want to add onto 2022 because it’s going to be a long but not proportionately wide afghan and put them together. But, can I keep 2022 just laying around waiting for 2023? Realistically? No.

So, my two thoughts are doing the stripes in scarf width or going with my original idea I had in 2022 which was to make each month it’s own block of smaller squares with a border around them and of course, space fillers for those days when that month is shorter.

The other night when I should have been sleeping I was thinking about this project along with wondering where my earring came free of the hook that was still in my ear when I got ready for bed. I’ve had those earrings for probably 7 years and pretty much wore them every day. I love a good set of mismatched earrings and these were given to me by two of my favorite former employees. I think they bought them at Target but, hey, I loved 'em. A similar pair is on the way from an Etsy shop in Atlanta, Ga.

I’m going to use the same yarns since I have so much leftover after planning for super cold or super hot temps and they didn’t happen. With smaller squares I might not have to replenish many of the colors. I do like the National Weather Service’s order of colors better than mine, though so I might rearrange.

Ok. Back to my other project here on my lap - the Grimblewood Cottage for the Gnomes of Grimblewood from Imagined Landscapes and Jimmy Beans. It will be such a relief to get this one done.

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

| kjt1211
December 1 |

• | - |

And just like that, it’s December 1st! Thirty one more days in 2022 until cast off (if you’re doing the calendar year) and it still seems like we’ve just started.

I’m still way behind (Hello, my name is July 17th) but I’m on track to finish by year end. I’ve really surprised myself. Since Kay threw out her challenge, I’ve done 104 days. And that includes November 17th to the 22nd when I didn’t knit on it at all (I was in Nashville, the blanket was in NY).

I’ve got a little weekly card that lives in the yarn bucket so I know what’s coming up and it’s been such pleasant work.

IMG_2093

Is anyone else thinking about 2023? I’ve already done my color chart for the new year and made sure that I have enough of my colors to get me start. That monthly 10% off coupon that comes with the Field Guide subscription is going to make planning and shopping a lot easer.

I’ve got a few other things in the works that I’ll share soon.

For me, the holiday season really kicks off on American Thanksgiving and this year I thought a lot about how grateful I am for this community. I do my best to celebrate as many of the seasonal holidays as I can so am looking forward to wishing you all a Happy Everything!

5 Likes

I am up to date! The two joined strips in the back are Oct 13-Nov 22, and the in-progress strip is Nov 23-30.

I am planning to add an i-cord border, and I was thinking for months about what color to choose, when I got a cool idea. I’m going to use all the colors in my color card, in order, for ~40 rows each, so I have a built-in color card right on the blanket! I wanted to share in case anyone else likes the idea for your project.

9 Likes

I love that idea!

2 Likes

I’m doing icord edging too! But I have no idea what color I’ll use. I’m thinking maybe the average temperature for the year.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea, too!

1 Like