The Great Botanica Knitalong

Hi there, As one of the test knitters I am hoping you can help me. I made a lovely big swatch for the botanical shawl. After blocking I am at 18 stitches for 4 inches rather than the 22 the pattern calls for. I am already on size 5 needles and the fabric actually looks nice but over the size of the pattern the stitch gauge being this far off will be a problem. I am more than happy to knit another swatch and then we’ll no doubt need to get another scan or 2 of Atlas but I’m wondering what your thoughts are about this. Are number 3 or 4 needles going to work with Atlas yarn? This is my first experience with it and I know you’ve knit a lot with it and looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks Nancy from Salt Lake City

2 Likes

Have you watched your swatch? That may make a bit of a difference. If you’re still not there (or close enough to feel comfortable), then go down to a four. I’ve played with Atlas a lot and it does respond well to gauge shifting.

3 Likes

Hi Nancy,
My apologies for my delay in responding, I’ve been away from the laptop.

My first question is are you using a wooden needle? If not please try, they tend to grip the yarn a little more than metal.
I’m a loose knitter and used (wooden) US4s for the sample. Even though Atlas can be knit beautifully at a looser gauge, your wrap will take more yarn and be much larger at 18 stitches to 4".
Do not hesitate to email me directly
nellknits at gmail dot com

2 Likes

FLORA ARM WARMERS
Atlas yarn. Peat, Natural, Barn Red, and Whisper. Good first project for strand knitting. I love Atlas.

12 Likes

Ta da!

Also posted on Insta

21 Likes

Julie, this is a fantastic use of Dee’s beautiful colorwork charts!
Which shades of Atlas did you choose?
:heart:

1 Like

Thank you! It is shale, pear, and leek.

2 Likes

Here they are - Climbing Vine Mitts! Made with Atlas Mallard, Seaglass, and Natural. Took them out for a test run and they kept my hands nice and toasty! Even got a compliment on them!

14 Likes

Holy moly! That’s amazing!

2 Likes

I have my first mitt finished. It is only my second color-work project, and I can see I need to even out the tension. Any suggestions? I read about turning the work inside out and wondered if anyone has done that or can suggest something else to try.

6 Likes

I generally do inside out with the floats going around the outside. That helps a lot for me so worth a try, I’m sure there are a ton of other helpful hints, like spreading out the stitches on the right needle before locking the float. Blocking will also help a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was thinking blocking would help, but will also experiment with inside out. I saw a tutorial on YouTube that was helpful.

1 Like

it almost always looks better after blocking!!!

1 Like

Still needs a bath and blocking but the knitting is done!!! I absolutely

love it. So do both of my daughters so not sure I’ll be keeping it!

17 Likes

23 Likes

I love this!

2 Likes

Oooooh so pretty!

1 Like

Current state of my dining room table. Lots of atlas projects drying and mid Christmas decorating!

14 Likes

Wow! It’s Botanica all across the table (and I see a cider mill sweater at the far end!). So many beauties :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Wow! They’re all fantastic.

3 Likes