Thin fleece fabric for lining

I’m not sure what it’s called (microfleece?) but want to buy some very, very thin fleece to use as lining for hats, and also for some felted tweed garments that feel itchy next to my neck. Does anyone know what this fabric is called? And online source to purchase? Thank you!

1 Like

Yup, it’s called microfleece, or just fleece. JoAnn’s sells it, or multiple places on Etsy. If you want something even thinner, a good quality flannel might suit. I find microfleece makes me way too hot, although that might just be me. Cotton flannel would breath better. Have any old flannel shirts to recycle?

2 Likes

I have some old flannel shirts, what a great idea, thank you!

2 Likes

Seconding the idea of flannel! Soft, helps keep wind out, and doesn’t trap heat. (Or pollute ocean with microplastic, but that’s another story :wink:

1 Like

It used ro be Polartec.1. I think that it is the stuff that some nightgowns are made of.

Thanks I think flannel is a great idea, but worn thin flannel, not new flannel

I tried ordering a swatch of something online that sounded right, but when I touched it, it was too thick. I may have to make a road trip

As you have heard, micro fleece or sometimes grid fleece is what the fabric is called. Fabric.com, Fabric Depot and Fashion Fabrics Club are three online retailers of solid reputation and reasonable price that I have done business with for over a decade. They all have it. I am a retired theatrical costumer, so have dealt with them all.

To line a hat you need a stretchy fabric, NOT flannel, but you can also use cotton lycra as a lining for hats and collars or yokes where stretch is requred. If stability is needed for some necklines and yokes, then flannel works fine. Cut it on the bias for less edge finishing needed. The above resources have lots of cotton lycra also.

If you have a more open, lacy fabric that is scratchy, line in silk organza of skin color or garment color. Cut on bias, also. That, again, can be ordered online from above retailers.

2 Likes

How a single knit, a nice thin tee shirt knit? Most fabric stores sell it and come in all colors. The fabric is wide. That way you will have the stretch you need for knitted hats. (But I would recommend washing and drying it first to remove any sizing).

1 Like

One thing to also keep in mind for lining hats is that cotton (as in flannel) doesn’t dry very quickly. So if it’s wet and cold, and the outer part of the hat isn’t fully waterproof, it can be pretty miserable.

I found this out the hard way on a trip outside Seattle in late October. I had a flannel-lined wool earflap hat, but the constant icy drizzle meant the lining was always wet or at least damp, which made me feel colder than no hat at all.

I just bought a yard of black “winter fleece micro chamois” from fabric.com. It says the weight is 4.8 oz per syd. That’s the lowest weight I’ve seen. Hopefully, it’s what I’m looking for. Thank you so much for all the info. These forums are so helpful.

I think that will do your job! That is indeed, very lightweight. No edge finishing will be needed, and use a longer stitch length if you apply by machine. If by hand, the criss-cross looking “catch stitch” is flexible, quick and secure, or just overcast.

Good luck, post pics!

Jenna Hoefert
NovaSkills, Inc.

| naomiu
April 11 |

• | - |

I just bought a yard of black “winter fleece micro chamois” from fabric.com. It says the weight is 4.8 oz per syd. That’s the lowest weight I’ve seen. Hopefully, it’s what I’m looking for. Thank you so much for all the info. These forums are so helpful.