Turnstile Wrap Knitalong

Got my gorgeous yarn and cast on this project last night. This yarn is a dream to work with. All I want to do is knit, yet I have so many chores to complete today!!! Ah well, housework and gardening can wait just a bit longer right???

6 Likes

Oh I see what you mean! I have been looking at the schematic often since my row gauge is off. Perhaps that distance between the 2 Bs may vary on how big an armhole you would like…… I attempted to try it on but I need a helper to loop it around my. Body.

I have about 10 more inches of “back” to night. It’s a rainy stormy Sunday and I hope to make a dent in it.

5 Likes

Hi all! New to this forum as this is my first MDK KAL! Im so grateful for a place to ask questions.

I have difficulty making ROW gauge. I downsized to a 4 needle to make the stitch gauge. I want to make sure my garment is the right length. So, how long should the wrap be when I begin to divide for armhole? I know the width is 18”. But I would like to know if I have completed enough ribbed eyelet repeats before i divide for the armhole.

Also, I assume I must complete an entire ribblet pattern repeat before dividing for arm hole?

Thank you so much for any wisdom!

2 Likes

Welcome to the KAL!
The fabric should be 17 3/4" when you divide for the underarm. If you are having trouble getting gauge, work in full repeats to the approximate depths (there’s a schematic on page 17 of the guide) and add or subtract (in full repeats) for the shoulders, too.

2 Likes

Welcome, Nancy! I also didn’t make row gauge on a 4 needle.
The schematic shows the length of the front panel up to the division to be 17.75”.

I’m glad I have the print booklet. I often use digital patterns, but this has been easier for me to pick up the book and ponder the schematic.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a video tutorial on how to alternate the 2 strands of yarn? When I am on the “new skein row” I lift the lower working yarn up and in front of the just worked yarn but it is more loose and not identical to the non switched skein side. Any suggestions or resources?

Is it possible after it’s all complete to add a finish to both sides of the edge to have a more polished/matching stitch? (Ignore the rescue lines placed at each repeat:)

3 Likes

Just put the back stitches on the needle with the front right. I feel like I’m on the home stretch now. I decided not to mess with the row

counts. When I laid it all out and measured I thought it was close enough to the pattern dimensions.

8 Likes

A bit more progress on this interesting wip:

6 Likes

So beautiful Love the color!

2 Likes

Isn’t it? Since it’s BFL it also has a beautiful drape :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m almost ready to bind off, but am confused by the pattern. I have finished Rows 6-8, 18 repeats and Rows 1-4 per the pattern. However that leaves the right front 8 rows (1 repeat) shorter than the left front which had 20 repeats. Should they be different lengths or is this a typo and the right front should have 19 repeats and then Rows 1-4? I think I want the sides to be equal lengths. Thanks!

1 Like

Hmmm. According to the schematic, both sides are equal.
I would add another repeat.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll add the repeat.

1 Like

Did a gauge swatch last night using the Neighborhood Fiber Organic DK in the gray shade specified in the pattern. This is my 2nd time using the yarn and it’s just yummy. I had to go down to a size 3.25mm needle to get gauge - the test knitter must be a very tight knitter! Casting on today - so excited.

1 Like

Are you using the organic DK, Karen? If so, what color please? I love it!

1 Like

Finished and ready to wear. Can’t wait for cooler weather :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Congratulations! Well done. It is absolutely beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous!!! Can’t wait to finish mine! Love the color!

1 Like

Beautiful. You knocked that out! Are the armholes big enough?

1 Like

Question regarding left shoulder:
If I had to make my left front
18” instead of 17.75, how should I adjust my left shoulder length? Schematic says 8.5” (+3.25). I want to make sure i understand how that adjustment to front will impact the rest. Thanks!

1 Like