Your Dishrag Cotton Recommendations

Back in the day, after Peaches and Creme (the real Elmore-Pisgah version) was discontinued, I stocked up. Like, huge Rubbermaid tub stocked up.

My cotton stash is starting to dwindle, and I am especially starting to run out of neutral colors like white.

What is your current go-to dishcloth cotton?

2 Likes

Knit Picks Dishie is the best Iā€™ve found. Iā€™ve tried most of them, I think. Dishie holds its color, is smoother, less splitty. Itā€™s a little lighter weight than the others. Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton is better than Sugar & Cream. Iā€™ve also tried a couple of brands from Herschnners which have 15-25% polyester in with the cotton; I donā€™t know how they hold up yet, but, so far, I think Iā€™m going to prefer Dishie.

5 Likes

My favorites are made with Rowan Denim.

10 Likes

Whatever I find thatā€™s the color Iā€™m looking for and it looks like it will hold up well!

1 Like

Rowan Denim takes a lickinā€™ and keeps on tickinā€™. (You have to be nearly 100 to get that reference from an old Timex watch ad with John Cameron Swayzie.)

15 Likes

When my Peaches & Creme supply started to fail, I got some Sugar N Cream at Michaels. Itā€™s perfectly fine but the colors seem very short-lived when you start using the dishcloths. I canā€™t really be sure itā€™s not as good as P & C, which also faded, of course.

Lately Iā€™ve been using Rowan Handknit Cotton. It makes me sad to use more expensive yarn but on the other hand itā€™s very nice to work with, and I use my dishcloths for years and years.

7 Likes

I think what I might do first is get some white and ecru Sugar and Creamā€“fading there wonā€™t be an issue, of course, and it will help me use up the end of the Peaches and Creme stash. And by ā€œend ofā€ I mean still a lot.

Iā€™m intrigued by Dishie and the Rowan recommendations.

2 Likes

Did you try eBay? I did a search and Peaches n Creme cotton yarn is available from different sellers. Even saw a neutral cone or two.

2 Likes

I am wondering the same thing since my hoard of the now discontinued Peaches and Creme is dwindling too.

Did you ever see this video on a comparison of dishcloth cotton? I love the videos on this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7YwPzZ7vU

3 Likes

It may be plebian, but I love Sugar 'n Cream. I have a stock of psychedelic washcloths in the bathroom; on my Ravelry projects page they are called the Jerry Garcia Memorial Wash Cloth Project. Disclaimer: I am not a dead head, but the name seemed apt. I didnā€™t start making dishcloth cotton items until after Peaches 'n Cream was discontinued, so indeed S ā€˜n C may be woefully inferior. One day I was in Michaelsā€™ and I got the call. Now I am planning a dishcloth cotton double bed size blanket for myself, as twenty washcloths are enough for one person. I just love working with dishcloth cotton.

3 Likes

Having just used my Log Cabin Cloths recently, I feel the need to chime in. I have used Euroflax Linen, Knit Picks Dishie, Peaches 'n Cream and Sugar 'n Cream in the past and all have held up well. I used Rowan Hand Knit Cotton for my Log Cabin Cloths and will never go back. It was more comfortable to work with and the cloths wring out easier (for my slightly arthritic hands) and do a great job. Iā€™m a convert!
Log%20Cabin%20Cloths%20012018

9 Likes

Iā€™ve done baby sweaters with RHC, but would have thought it too soft for dishcloths. Thank you for the note b

I have a lot of Cotton Fleece by Brown Sheep and I am trying that for dishcloths. It is 80% cotton and 20% wool. I have not washed any dishes as yet, and if I decide it is not a good choice, I will let you know!

I like KP Dishie and their organic cotton (only comes in white). Both hold up well to many, many trips through the washer and dryer. KP CotLin also is nice, especially for spa cloths given as gifts; it holds up well if knit or crocheted at a firm gauge.

1 Like

Could someone please show me the reverse side of a log cabin cloth?

This is the back of a mitered square, which uses the same construction as log cabin around the border. I hope it helps.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, I was hoping it would look like that!! Iā€™m on the right track!

I just got some Rowan cotton to make some Bodhi leaves, and it is just delicious to work with! Iā€™ll use up every scrap of it on somethingā€¦towels, leaves, clothsā€¦try it!