Bang Out a Hadley: Getting Ready for Feb. 1

Excellent info @mfolly Thank you. I think you are right about the blooming being an important factor to consider. And highland has a lot of gorgeous colors too!

Thank you to all- I understand about the sizes being fixed. I think Iā€™ll watch forum to get more ideas. Question: Is the smallest size-37- is that noted with or without positive ease? When they say is has 3-4" positive ease is that then added to given sizes?

How could I not knit a Hadley !
That is the name of my daughter :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Check the pattern. There are two measurementsā€“bust measurement and knitted measurement. So if your bust measures 34" you would want the size that knits at 37".

3 Likes

@annelis.mooreā€“A Hadley for your Hadley! :wink:

1 Like

This is going to require an awful lot of self control to wait until February 1!

3 Likes

I really want to knit this sweater. By the way does anyone know where the name Hadley Sweater originated? I see lots of sweaters with this name and wondered where the name came from? I LOVE the pattern and LOVE that yarn

My daughter, the focus of my life and leukemia survivor, has not spoken to me since October 2010.
No big blow up, just cut me out of her life, but left me with her school loans .
She married the college boyfriend in 2011, financed by her father.
I attempted to see her in December 2013, but the new husband crawled out of the bushes to call 911.
She now has twins and I have never seen them.
Just waiting for the next shoe to drop

1 Like

@annelis.mooreā€“Iā€™m so sorry to hear that.

Sending my love! Thatā€™s a tough situation to be in.

Wow ! Sorry I really said too much in my post about my Hadley. Fatigue,
frustration, I should never have said so much.
But many thanks :pray: for the empathy and back to knitting

katie http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/users/katie

January 20

Sending my love! Thatā€™s a tough situation to be in.

Visit Topic
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/bang-out-a-hadley-getting-ready-for-feb-1/676/30
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

annelis.moore http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/users/annelis.moore

January 20

My daughter, the focus of my life and leukemia survivor, has not spoken to
me since October 2010. No big blow up, just cut me out of her life, but
left me with her school loans . She married the college boyfriend in 2011,
financed by her father. I attempted to see her in December 2013, but the
new hā€¦

Visit Topic
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/bang-out-a-hadley-getting-ready-for-feb-1/676/30
or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/email/unsubscribe/a3595ffa6d5a4bb3ed50e6afcc28af8871b7b190295d566996d4ec570c2324c0

Possible yarn sub-

Like others, I canā€™t quite afford the amount of shelter yarn so I was searching for a possible alternative. I found this Mary Maxim Alpaca tweed and although few colors, I picked some to look similar to the Hadley. Price is only $5.19. Joann. has a $3 shipping special this weekendā€¦
http://www.joann.com/mary-maxim-natural-alpaca-tweed-yarn/zprd_15049612a.html#q=Tweed&start=6

Perhaps a good option if you want to do the. KAL

1 Like

Iā€™m so glad to be part of this. Hadley is gorgeous! My daughter, Haley loves the one that she knit. Iā€™ll use some of the plentiful leftovers from the CC colors, I am trying to decide on a different MC and am particularly drawn to Cast Iron. I also have some odd Sap and Long Johns to mix up the colorwork so that we arenā€™t too twinny.
I am a huge fan of Shelter, but know that it isnā€™t the yarn for everyone. Stonehedge Mills Worsted, Malabrigo Worsted, Quince + Co Lark and Cascade 220 can all sub rather beautifully and meet varying softness and budget concerns.

1 Like

You could try using a bulkier yarn. Maybe an Aran weight? Perhaps Cascade Ecological Wool (natural undyed colors) or their Eco+(Lots of dyed colors). This yarn is listed as a bulky but itā€™s more like an aran weight. (When it first came out it was listed as worsted or aran.)

This yarn is by no means as nice as Shelter but I think it falls in the range of other yarns youā€™ve mentioned, and it is pretty affordable.

I understand your needle size issues, I usually knit worsted weight on size 5, unless itā€™s a yarn that blooms after blocking. Iā€™m pretty sure Shelter would bloom ā€“ did you block your swatch?

ETA: Apologies for not reading previous comments before posting. Iā€™ll endeavor to do better.

1 Like

May I ask what the URL is for the yarn sub site?

Iā€™m debating about this sweater for few reasons, the biggest being Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ll look in it, But if I make it I too will use a sub.* Trying to decide if I should go a tad lighter weight with something like Cascade 220 or with Cascade Eco Wool which is probably closer to Shelter in gauge but itā€™s no where near as nice a yarn.

I think Eco will win out since itā€™s in my stash in both brown and maroon. Oh, and I have a skein in silver too, so I even have some of the colorwork yarns already. Hmmmā€¦ I think I may be talking myself into knitting a Hadleyā€¦

*I do realize that it would definitely look better in Shelter.

Iā€™ve made two sweaters using Cascade Eco and both were with size 9 needles giving me about 3.5 sts per inch. If I go down smaller it is gets too thick to work with. I was kinda disapointed in all the pilling that ocurred afer a few wears. I shave it off. I am hoping the Mary Maxim Tweed will work better-still waiting for it to ship:)

I believe itā€™s yarnsub.com ā€¦ let me check

Wow, that took a minute. Have you read their latest articles? Fascinating (to a scientist-knitter, at least!!), but I digress.
It is indeed yarnsub.com :slight_smile:

Happy looking and good luck!

1 Like

Thanks very much! Sounds like itā€™s a great site!

1 Like

I would love a thread about choosing sweater sizes. I think most peopleā€™s ideal fit has negative ease, in other words, the sweater is smaller than their bodies.

1 Like

My yarn has arrived

Sweatshirt, Plume, Almanac, Homemade Jam, Sap. Iā€™m wondering whether Plume and Jam are too similar. BT makes a more vivid purple, and Iā€™m thinking of switching out Plume for that. On the other hand, I like the somewhat muted look of the blue/purply colors zinged with the vivid Sap. Hmmmm.

11 Likes