Bang Out a Hadley: Getting Ready for Feb. 1

I actually like a bit of positive ease in my sweaters and I’m very picky about fit… The two sweaters I’ve knit that fit well were frogged and reknit several times. According to the pattern, there is 2"-4" of positive ease in Hadley. I’ll be comparing my measurements to the schematic, swatching carefully and reading the pattern thoroughly before Feb 1. And crossing my fingers.

2 Likes

I am looking forward to joining Bang Out a Hadley in February! I want a different color scheme than what is in the book but am feeling a bit overwhelmed/almost frozen by all the color choices that Shelter offers. I wish I could see the colors in person. I don’t think I have time to order the swatch card.

1 Like

Wow, these are wonderful colors that play well together!

I can hardly wait for February. I’ve been reading, looking into yarnsub, coloring on 1/4 inch quad paper & swatches begin this week! I’ve need for a handknit sweater that fits so this knit a long is timely.

3 Likes

Years ago I had a roommate who was a really funny guy. He always told a story about an uncle of his who liked to play the ponies but who probably shouldn’t have. Whenever anyone said, “let’s go to the track”, the uncle would say “I’m not going to the track!” He would say it while he changed into street clothes. He would say it will he was tying his shoes. He would say it while he put his jacket on. And on and on and on.

That was pretty much my morning. “I’m not banging out a Hadley!” Look at the pattern. “I’m not banging out a Hadley!” Dive into the stash. “I’m not banging out a Hadley!” Find the needles. “I’m not banging out a Hadley!” Knit a swatch. “I’m not banging out a Hadley!”

I continue to maintain that I am definitely not banging out a Hadley. I will post pictures of me not banging out a Hadley.

I swear. I’m not.

14 Likes

I’ve ordered my yarn and I’m excited to start. Went with knitpicks wool of the Andes . My concession to a budget that craves cashmere but can only afford acrylic! :joy: I’m still pondering the correct size to knit. Will welcome any comments or suggestions on this topic. I did the Stopover last February and loved the advice and banter. Ready for some fun this February!

2 Likes

I love your color choices. I’ve been thinking about either Sweatshirt or Almanac as my main color.

So many lovely choices.

Rethinking my color choice! MC Blanket Fort, Fossil, Pumpernickel, Thistle, and Postcard. In person (wow, that was fast shipping) the BF is pretty dark…a bit darker than I thought. Pretty! But just not exactly what I had in mind. Back to the color drawing board!

Edited/updated two hours later to add: changing back. I think I still love Blanket Fort even though it’s darker than I thought. Possibly sticking with these colors. I’ll add a picture when I can get a good one in daylight tomorrow. :relaxed:

Edited to include a photo.

Blanket Fort is the one in the middle. :smile:

5 Likes

Rabrevitz, those colors are gorgeous!!! :smiley:

Dear Katie, knitters are the best people.
I again apologize for sharing too much personal info. but the responses to my post have been kind beyond belief.
Back to my knitting !

4 Likes

Although my local yarn store is great, they must be a bit pricey.
I found that the WEBS site is a life saver. They have many mark downed yarns and their service is excellent.

For what it’s worth, I once accidentally dumped a horrifying story about a man who I was desperately in love with who cheated on me like crazy to a knitting group on Yahoo. I was mortified. But then the amount of love that came back to me was amazing. One of the best things about places like The Lounge are that although, for the most part, we don’t know each other in real life we did all show up here knowing that we have at least one thing in common. I believe that, because of that, we are freed from our differences, are much more able to find the things we have in common and we can treat each other with care, kindness and compassion.

I hope everything works out for you and, if it doesn’t go the way you want it to, I hope you’re able to find some peace around it.

You managed to bare your soul to a pretty big crowd of strangers and that is truly brave. Imagine what other amazing things you can do!!

7 Likes

Wow !
The kindness of knitters abounds

kjt1211 http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/users/kjt1211

January 22

For what it’s worth, I once accidentally dumped a horrifying story about a
man who I was desperately in love with who cheated on me like crazy to a
knitting group on Yahoo. I was mortified. But then the amount of love that
came back to me was amazing. One of the best things about places like The
Lounge are that although, for the most part, we don’t know each other in
real life we did all show up here knowing that we have at least one thing
in common. I believe that, because of that, we are freed from our
differences, are much more able to find the things we have in common and we
can treat each other with care, kindness and compassion.

I hope everything works out for you and, if it doesn’t go the way you want
it to, I hope you’re able to find some peace around it.

You managed to bare your soul to a pretty big crowd of strangers and that
is truly brave. Imagine what other amazing things you can do!!

Visit Topic
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/bang-out-a-hadley-getting-ready-for-feb-1/676/52
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

annelis.moore http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/users/annelis.moore

January 22

Dear Katie, knitters are the best people. I again apologize for sharing
too much personal info. but the responses to my post have been kind beyond
belief. Back to my knitting !

Visit Topic
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/bang-out-a-hadley-getting-ready-for-feb-1/676/52
or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/email/unsubscribe/2fbc16cd6fd667e090c3ddb9a9ab047555cafde1b3cca072fcf6ad0016e28e0e

Just like that uncle who liked the ponies, as mentioned in an earlier posting here, I’m not thinking about the Hadley knit along…

If one was to buy some yarn, hypothetically speaking, how much would one need for the colour work part (in total)?

5 Likes

I think it’s only one skein total to do the colorwork. Although I’m not banging out a Hadley, I do have a bag packed with enough black yarn and a skein of white because I think the pattern would look really cool in that. I may have also put some needles and notions in the bag but, I’m with you on this one. We’re not doing this. Nosireebob!

8 Likes

Hey thanks for that. I have only gone as far as looking at some nice local
yarn in denim blue and cherry red (for the colourwork - I reckon it would
really pop against the blue), but no actual purchasing has occurred…yet…

Thanks for the info on the Eco.

ETA: I looked up the MMT yarn you mentioned and noticed it has a high percentage of acrylic. In my experience with afghans (one from the aughts others from the '70s) that use acrylic &/or acrylic blends tend to pill fairly easily. I have a few granny square ones from the 70s and there is a noticeable pilling difference even within a square between all Wool and the others. But of course, your yarn & experience may differ from mine.

(((BIG HUG))). I don’t think it’s TMI or inappropriate to write that here. I find MDK is the kind of place that brings out the personal, speaking from my own possible TMI posts because KA (mashup name) create such a warm safe place.

I often wonder if they delete the angry &/ politically volatile posts because unlike some other popular blogs, no one seems to post that. I like to think it’s organic, but I realize that’s unlikely given the nature of the interwebs.

1 Like

And yet you found 100% wool! You go girrl! Have you knit with it before? It’s a yarn I’m very curious about (tried it many years ago as a newbie and have no recollection of what it’s like — at the time I was too new to know & now I’m too old to remember. :wink:

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel. I’ve found that looking at stash photos on Ravelry helps with figuring out the “real” color since you can see so many pics next to each other. Project pics can also be helpful with color combo outcomes.