Bang Out a Kiki Mariko

Thanks so much Allison!! It’s great to have you on board!!

2 Likes

A couple people were wondering yesterday is size 15 24" needles would work? Thoughts?

I started on 32s and they were too long for me to knit without having to scoot the yarn over every few stitches so I switched to 24s and they are perfect! Whatever you feel comfortable with :slight_smile:

So what is everyone using for markers? Or are you not? None of my stitch markers fit these needles. I’m using rubber bands but wondered what others might be doing.

3 Likes

Great! Thank you. That’s what I have so happy to know they’ll work!

I wanted the edge to be dynamite blue rather than turquoise and I started my blue Kiki before this was posted. For the first four rows, the steek edge stitch was dynamite blue then I switched to turquoise for the next four rows. I then figured I would make the edge stitch the same color (grey heather next) for eight rows, similar to the Ravelry chart. Then the same color for every eight rows thereafter. My question is, will the fact that the first and second colors of edge stitches are only four rows long look wonky when the rug is finished? I’m not so far in that I couldn’t start over. I wanted to blanket stitch in turquoise which is why I started with dynamite blue. I hope this makes sense.

1 Like

I’m also confused by the steek section. The written pattern is different than the original steek chart that was posted. Does it matter which one we follow?

2 Likes

I’ve been having quite a time figuring out the steek section also. I had both the pattern chart and the steek chart side by side. I noticed something that was causing me to get confused. Pattern chart row 1 is Steek chart row 2 because of the initial round in all one color. Before I made this realization, I kept trying to line up the charts side by side and getting confused. Did anyone else have this disconnect like I did?

2 Likes

Because I am knitting this at home, I feel quite comfortable using 2 of my favorite rings as stitch markers.
I love seeing them pass by.

7 Likes

I didn’t have any handy so I just cut two little pieces of yarn and tied them so they are loops. It’s not pretty but it works!

3 Likes

That’s a good point! I am working on updating the steek chart to match the updated pattern and I’ll keep that in mind! Stay tuned!

1 Like

My old plastic ring markers fit on my size 15 needles. I think they were made by Boye.

4 Likes

I don’t have mine yet either. I can’t wait to start!

What an exciting deep stash project! The colours look beautiful!

I sometimes use small hair elastics on big needles, and other times I just tie some contrasting color yarn into a circle and use that!

1 Like

Love both the idea of using rings and hair elastics - thanks!

2 Likes

Many years ago my husband noticed that I had taken off my wedding ring in the car and popped it into my knitting as a marker. It was hilarious to see him try to understand that I wasn’t knitting it permanently into the piece.

7 Likes

I started my rug last night. I usually use a little doohickey for stranded knitting, but didn’t think it would work with bulky yarn-and I wanted to learn the 2-hand method. It felt a bit awkward at first, but I’ve got the hang of it now. It does make it more complicated to snack while knitting, but that is probably a good thing.

10 Likes

I’ve never done two stranded knitting before where I manipulated the strands independently. Is there a video somewhere that will describe a good technique?

1 Like

So I didn’t understand the steek and did not do a checkerboard for stitches 2-5 - I just did the opposite color of the row before for 10 rows / long floats. I’m not keen on ripping out. I suspect it will cause a problem if I don’t drop down.

Thoughts?

2 Likes