Bang Out a Kiki Mariko

I answered my own question. Here is a video that helped me: KNITFreedom - Fair-Isle Tutorial - How To Knit With 2 Colors - YouTube

7 Likes

I found this really helpful – video of a variety of methods to hold yarn for stranded knitting. Suzanne Bryan. Stranded Knitting - Methods of Holding Yarns - YouTube

6 Likes

The steek is going to be cut off when the felting is completed. I’m considering turning mine and stitching it down on the back instead of doing the (optional) blanket stitch binding, but either way…

3 Likes

I also struggled to find a stitch marker that would fit on my US15 needles - but if you have Cocoknits stitch marker tasting kit, the jumbo rings fit perfectly. Plus the colors are fun and they are magnetic if you drop one in the couch and have trouble finding it! (I do this a lot).

6 Likes

After a false start on Day 1 I figured it out last night.
Going to try 2 handed colored knitting tonight!

9 Likes

I did the same for a couple color changes, then switched to full-on checkerboard. I ain’t ripping out - this is the steek. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the idea (after felting) of turning part of the steek to the underside and stitching it down. Feel that it may compliment the tubular cast-on I did.

3 Likes

Your stitches look perfect! Are you using size 15 needles? My stitches are so much more loose looking than that, but I am very close to gauge. (Haven’t got enough finished to check row gauge.)

1 Like

Does one start the row count with he steek, since that is where the color changes, or with row 1 of the chart?

I.E. K96, Steek 10 or Steek 10, K96

Thanks.

I’m looking forward to starting! Using mainly stash, with a few purchased colors - I think I am going to cast on extra stitches to make a bigger rug, and I am going to try knitting inside out. Using the original pattern since I have it, but being more random with the colors…

7 Likes

I count 5 steek, then 96 pattern, then 5 steek - which begins and ends new colors in or near the middle of the steek, which where the cut will be made.

6 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate your prompt reply.

If you missed (or just want to re-live) the Zoom cast-on party from Feb 1 you can find the recording here: MDK Bang Out A Kiki Mariko Kickoff! on Vimeo

3 Likes

![cff83930-ead3-407a-ae12-a9c8415767a7|500x500](upload://ykTCfrHBZzvUUToz0yrv, ftk0nZ1.jpeg)
Allison, I’m sorry. I keep trying to transfer my photo to the “P” above, but it keeps copying the printed out version to this place. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do???

2 Likes

Bluedog Workshop on Etsy makes beautiful snag free stitch markers that will fit a size 15

2 Likes

Is there a place to find the charts using A B C D E F G for a seven color rug? I’ve put them on the charts by hand, but the instructions keep referring to the 9 color pattern.

Whew, I’m in over my head.
Just started row 2 and realize that, at the end of Row 1, I should have cut one of the strands used for row 1. Right? Otherwise, I have an unused strand of color A just hanging there getting tangled as I work across Row 2. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Yep! Just cut the one unused one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the great picture illustrating your steek. I’ve restarted mine 3 times but am feeling another frog coming on. So here goes! Practice makes perfect and i appreciate all the support in the lounge! The chart was a great help also but so helpful to see the color line up.

4 Likes

Hi @mdk-allison! Just checking in to see if you’ve been able to ascertain whether we should follow the edge stitches on the steek color chart (where they are in nice lines of solid colors, shifting with each section), or the verbal instruction to make the edge stitch the color of the pattern stitch next to it (which would lead to more color jumping on the edges of each section). It looks like you and others are now following the steek chart from what I can see, not the verbal instruction, but I’d love to know which is correct for this pattern. Thank you!

1 Like