Has Anyone Used US Size 6 Needles to Knit a Ball Band Dishcloth?

Has anyone knit a ball band dishcloth using US#6 needles, rather than #7? How did it work out?

Hi Diane,
Iā€™m a loose knitter and have used a US 6 and even a US 5 for ball band cloths - however, my gauge with the smaller needles is close to an ā€˜averageā€™ knitters gauge with the recommended US 7
Therefore to answer your question, they worked out just fine.

3 Likes

Thanks, Nell. My knitting is not generally tight, so my dishcloth would come out smaller. I donā€™t think that thereā€™s anything wrong with that. On the other hand, I canā€™t let go of my ā€œoldā€ way eben though it is only knitting, and the rules for a dishcloth are not set in stone.

I already stopped making them the MDK book length, and gollow the length for the original instructions. This was after I gifted a friend six of them gir her birthday and she gave me a 15 minute dissertation on how I could improve on making them. They were apparently not thin enough to wash her motherā€™s good glasses (I suggested she use ā€œHandi Wipesā€ for those).

1 Like

I have made a few bb dishclothes and here are my observations:

1. I donā€™t think the gauge matters much except that smaller --> smaller and tighter and v.v. If you want them something different make gauge looser or tighter or cast on fewer repeats.

2. Like your friendā€™s mother I also found standard size too big for actually washing dishes. The extra material seemed to flop around messily. So now when I make one I CO many fewer sts and fewer rows. (Actually I also now use acrylic or polyester yarn, but thatā€™s another story.)

3. Somewhat OT: I found a neat tool at the hardware store designed for delicate wine glasses that makes cleaning champagne flutes etc. a cinch. Donā€™t recall what itā€™s called and the tag is long gone but itā€™s made out of a silicone-like material in a sort of brush shape.

1 Like

Thank you, mfolly, for your observations and methods about the size of the bb dishcloth. Iā€™m getting to like the idea of a smaller size. Also, I aporeciate the information about the soecial device for washing delicate glasses.

1 Like

Me too! I like the smaller sized dishcloth I get with a size 5 needle.

1 Like

Because of gauge difference no one can answer that for you. I need to use a 5 with worsted to get gauge.

2 Likes

Size 6 is my go-to for the Ballband. P.S. I am a loose knitter. This gives me a nice tight gauge without tiring my hands.

3 Likes

I say no more knitting for her!

7 Likes

I always make mine smaller than the pattern says. I have small hands.

The needle size will make it smaller, but the thing to remember is how tight - thick - flexible do you want the fabric to be. Tighter - size 5 or 6. Normal - size 7. Looser - size 8.

I tend to use 7ā€™s, but have made them with needles anywhere between a 5 and an 8. Depends on whatā€™s available or what I grab!

4 Likes

I like a tighter fabric to wash with, so I use size 6 intentionally. More importantly, a friend would never criticize a gift, particularly a handmade one. Any future gifts for her should be in the form of a gift certificate. For Dunkinā€™s. For no more than $5.00 :unamused:

5 Likes

Thanks, laurpud, for the input. I am trying the size six needles, too. Also, I hear you about the Dunkinā€™s gift certificate. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to attempt my first Ballband dishcloth and wondered if I have to use different colors? I know Iā€™m the boss of my knitting but will I lose the design of the pattern by not changing colors? I went a little nuts buying Peaches & Cream Stripey this weekendšŸ˜

1 Like

ā€œIā€™m the boss of my knittingā€ is my new favorite phrase. Maybe a t-shirt?

5 Likes

I remember seeing a little kid once with a T shirt that said ā€œyouā€™re not the boss of me.ā€

3 Likes

I use size 5 because Iā€™m a relatively loose knitter and Iā€™d rather have smaller dishcloths. I was inspired by the MDK ballband pattern (and the log cabin andā€¦). Fortunately I had cotton yarn in my stash. At the beginning of our shelter in place quarantine, I watched Ann and Kay on the free KnitStars episode (Iā€™m originally from Nashville) and ā€œfell in loveā€! Havenā€™t blocked anything but Iā€™m on a roll:image

4 Likes

I was making a few gift ballbands and realized I accidentally ordered the Rowan Summerlite DK cotton (thinner than my usual Rowan Handknit Cotton) and only had US6 needles with meā€¦ what to do? Well, Cecelia Campochiaroā€™s book Making Marls was sitting on the table in front of meā€¦ so, I figured, why not :man_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

You wonā€™t lose the design, you will still see the ā€œbricksā€, just with less contrast. Picture white tiles with white grout?

1 Like

WowšŸ˜ These look awesome!!

1 Like

Thank you @sabograd :wink:
I have knit 5 dishcloths in Peaches & Creme Stripey; 1 original Ballband, 2 @kgdew mini version, 1 Marly Bird pattern, and 1 diagonal ā€œrecipeā€ from the ballband of Peaches & Creme. #canā€™tstopwonā€™tstop!

Next Iā€™m going to try with EuroFlax linen

4 Likes