Return to MDK

Has Anyone Used US Size 6 Needles to Knit a Ball Band Dishcloth?

Has anyone knit a ball band dishcloth using US#6 needles, rather than #7? How did it work out?

Hi Diane,
I’m a loose knitter and have used a US 6 and even a US 5 for ball band cloths - however, my gauge with the smaller needles is close to an ‘average’ knitters gauge with the recommended US 7
Therefore to answer your question, they worked out just fine.

3 Likes

Thanks, Nell. My knitting is not generally tight, so my dishcloth would come out smaller. I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with that. On the other hand, I can’t let go of my “old” way eben though it is only knitting, and the rules for a dishcloth are not set in stone.

I already stopped making them the MDK book length, and gollow the length for the original instructions. This was after I gifted a friend six of them gir her birthday and she gave me a 15 minute dissertation on how I could improve on making them. They were apparently not thin enough to wash her mother’s good glasses (I suggested she use “Handi Wipes” for those).

1 Like

I have made a few bb dishclothes and here are my observations:

1. I don’t think the gauge matters much except that smaller --> smaller and tighter and v.v. If you want them something different make gauge looser or tighter or cast on fewer repeats.

2. Like your friend’s mother I also found standard size too big for actually washing dishes. The extra material seemed to flop around messily. So now when I make one I CO many fewer sts and fewer rows. (Actually I also now use acrylic or polyester yarn, but that’s another story.)

3. Somewhat OT: I found a neat tool at the hardware store designed for delicate wine glasses that makes cleaning champagne flutes etc. a cinch. Don’t recall what it’s called and the tag is long gone but it’s made out of a silicone-like material in a sort of brush shape.

1 Like

Thank you, mfolly, for your observations and methods about the size of the bb dishcloth. I’m getting to like the idea of a smaller size. Also, I aporeciate the information about the soecial device for washing delicate glasses.

1 Like

Me too! I like the smaller sized dishcloth I get with a size 5 needle.

1 Like

Because of gauge difference no one can answer that for you. I need to use a 5 with worsted to get gauge.

2 Likes

Size 6 is my go-to for the Ballband. P.S. I am a loose knitter. This gives me a nice tight gauge without tiring my hands.

3 Likes

I say no more knitting for her!

7 Likes

I always make mine smaller than the pattern says. I have small hands.

The needle size will make it smaller, but the thing to remember is how tight - thick - flexible do you want the fabric to be. Tighter - size 5 or 6. Normal - size 7. Looser - size 8.

I tend to use 7’s, but have made them with needles anywhere between a 5 and an 8. Depends on what’s available or what I grab!

4 Likes

I like a tighter fabric to wash with, so I use size 6 intentionally. More importantly, a friend would never criticize a gift, particularly a handmade one. Any future gifts for her should be in the form of a gift certificate. For Dunkin’s. For no more than $5.00 :unamused:

5 Likes

Thanks, laurpud, for the input. I am trying the size six needles, too. Also, I hear you about the Dunkin’s gift certificate. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m going to attempt my first Ballband dishcloth and wondered if I have to use different colors? I know I’m the boss of my knitting but will I lose the design of the pattern by not changing colors? I went a little nuts buying Peaches & Cream Stripey this weekend😁

1 Like

“I’m the boss of my knitting” is my new favorite phrase. Maybe a t-shirt?

5 Likes

I remember seeing a little kid once with a T shirt that said “you’re not the boss of me.”

3 Likes

I use size 5 because I’m a relatively loose knitter and I’d rather have smaller dishcloths. I was inspired by the MDK ballband pattern (and the log cabin and…). Fortunately I had cotton yarn in my stash. At the beginning of our shelter in place quarantine, I watched Ann and Kay on the free KnitStars episode (I’m originally from Nashville) and “fell in love”! Haven’t blocked anything but I’m on a roll:image

4 Likes

I was making a few gift ballbands and realized I accidentally ordered the Rowan Summerlite DK cotton (thinner than my usual Rowan Handknit Cotton) and only had US6 needles with me… what to do? Well, Cecelia Campochiaro’s book Making Marls was sitting on the table in front of me… so, I figured, why not :man_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

You won’t lose the design, you will still see the “bricks”, just with less contrast. Picture white tiles with white grout?

1 Like

Wow😍 These look awesome!!

1 Like

Thank you @sabograd :wink:
I have knit 5 dishcloths in Peaches & Creme Stripey; 1 original Ballband, 2 @kgdew mini version, 1 Marly Bird pattern, and 1 diagonal “recipe” from the ballband of Peaches & Creme. #can’tstopwon’tstop!

Next I’m going to try with EuroFlax linen

4 Likes