I made it with Atlas!

After I asked the questions, the line of comments from others followed. I see the answers to my questions! Sorry. Such a gorgeous shawl!

1 Like

Hi, You say they were answered, but I’m going to chime in anyway since you say you are somewhat new to knitting. Feel free to reach out along the way if you have any questions. For a shawl, gauge is less important than you liking the fabric, so my advice would be to do a gauge swatch in one color with garter and stockinette, wash it and let it dry and see if you like the way it feels. Gauge then is only important making sure you have enough yarn.

On the yarn, I did dip in to the 3rd skein of each color–but seriously a “dip” there is plenty left, so if you use atlas, unless you are the loosest knitter ever, 3 skeins of each color will do. Otherwise, you can make it scrappy. I did use the same size needle throughout.

If you are newish, the only fiddly part of this shawl is the start of each triangle, which is a garter tab cast on. It really is not hard, but the first time I did it (long ago in another Joji shawl), it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around it. I’m sure there are YouTube videos to show you how but it really is not hard. Good luck and reach out if need any help. Lots of folks here will chime in.

2 Likes

Here are two posts that may help you think about Atlas in case you missed them the first time around. Everybody likes different things and is sensitive to different things, but I’d say maybe buy 1 skein to try it and see what you think before jumping in fully?

3 Likes

I think you so much for the articles. I know I had read about Atlas, didn’t really think much about it until I saw Joji’s pattern, Grace Notes. That’s the type of sweater I would wear constantly…and it would be super in a spring/summer version as well!

Now, of course, hmmm, thinking about color…you know how it is!

I appreciate everyone’s input and thoughts, what a wonderful group MDK you are! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It is a great looking sweater. I agree

A trick I’ve used for a garter cast on is to take a removable marker and put it into each bump. Then when you have to knit into them, you can just slide your needle where it has to be – right in the bump where your markers are…I know these kind folks can help you too – good luck – what a beautiful project!

2 Likes

Thank you both so much for the guidance–I need all the help I can get. And I will reach out and post when I can’t figure something out! And hopefully one day soon I’ll be posting a picture of my FO!

1 Like

Go for it!

1 Like

Good luck. You can definitely do this!

Fantastic! The colors are amazing!

1 Like

Thank you!! All credit to MDK for the colors!

1 Like

First off, my daughter requested a rainbow sweater! I had a plan for a cascading rainbow with a blue background but she had other plans. Red with a traditional rainbow in the middle. Ok, she’s the boss! I love how it turned out and she did too, so that’s a win!

20 Likes

My first Atlas sweater was the Festival Sweater from Petite Knit. She got a couple good wears out of it before it ended up getting washed with a pile of laundry and now fits her doll. oops. It was beautiful while it lasted!

11 Likes

O M Goodness! I adore everything about this.

2 Likes

You just made me swoon with the cuteness!!!

She’s lovely and so is her sweater!

3 Likes

Super adorable! Great job!

Awe, she looks so cute! She has great taste in picking her color!

1 Like

Oh no! I made 2 of my granddaughters a little dress when they were probably 3 or 4. Matching too,because as cousins 6 months apart they were more like sisters. Well both of my daughters did the same thing! Both teddy bears still wear the dresses and I only make them machine washable things now!

3 Likes

Atlas and I have gone from like to love. It takes a braided join like a dream.

Here it is before I trimmed it.
Here’s the same spot with the ends trimmed.

And once it’s washed it will be even better!

8 Likes

I will look up the braided join. Can’t wait for my order of Atlas to arrive today. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes