If MDK Comments are Broken, Leave One Here

I still think Socks for centipedes has promise. We do need a guide for Great Outdoors Knitting:projects to make with hemp twine and improvised needles.

1 Like

My suggestion for a guide.
Underwater sock knitting

1 Like

Field Guide No One But You Asked For: Spinning and knitting with dust bunnies. :rabbit:

1 Like

We also have great USPS people delivering our packages they go above a d beyond. The weirdest thing our USPS driver delivered to us was a tailpipe for my sonā€™s old car. He carried on his shoulder right up the driveway.

1 Like

A box of a thousand daffodil bulbs!

1 Like

My cousin shipped me a mahogany coffee table that my father made - via USPS.

1 Like

Love USPS but we had boxes of outdoor furniture delivered. It was suppose to be delivered two streets over. Two weeks later we had their fancy new pillows delivered for the furniture. We now have friends two streets over. :blush:

3 Likes

First of all I donā€™t want to win the giveaway. But I just love MDK! And I want to share this story with you as a gesture of appreciation.

When I was five minutes into my ten minutes of fame, many years agoā€¦ I was anxiously enjoying the three - four month period when one of my recordings was hitting the charts, climbing the charts, peaking, and sinking. I began getting fan mail, both from the record company but also privately. One day an envelope appeared my mailbox. My name and address were hand written in pencil and it was wasnā€™t in a childā€™s handwriting. That meant it was coming from a prison. I opened the letter and as I unfolded the paper several hairpins fell out onto my lap. I was shocked and frankly a little frightened that someone in prison knew my home address.

I remember reading his praise of my voice, feeling repulsed inwardly a little at his longer mention of my air brushed beauty, and desperately wanting to throw those hairpins awayā€¦ without touching them.

Now many years later I realize that that was the only thing this poor human being had to give me. It was a GIFT.

Now I am seventy. I spend many hours knitting beautiful things and I gift some of those things to people who are meaningful to me. While I knit that gift I reflect on all sorts of things. My reflections, my broodings, attach themselves to the yarn as it goes through my fingers.

I get it.

All my memories, my ambivalences, mistakes, contradictions as well as my love and good intention go into that garment which will be gifted. And I find I am like that prisoner who sent me six hairpins from his cell. Perhaps thatā€™s the nature of the gift.

And arenā€™t the workers of USPS often the good bearers of such gifts?

3 Likes

I received rotted lemons in a soggy box! I, too, am a long time fan of the USPS. The postal service is in the Constitution-- apparently the framers thought it necessary to ā€œlife, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve never received anything that unusual in the mailā€¦lots of yarnā€¦but thatā€™s not unusual. But I would like to leave a shout-out to the wonderful postal workers in Canterbury, CT. They are absolutely the Best!! Always cheery and helpful, especially Vicky who notices that Iā€™ve pulled into the parking lot and has my package ready for me by the time I get in.

2 Likes

Atlas Insider reply: USPS delivered a whole painted coconut from Hawaii with a postcard note from my sister!

1 Like

Strangest package ai ever found on my doorstep: Live Worms.
ā€œIā€™ll just leave that on the porchā€.

2 Likes

Strangest package ever delivered: a big 9x12 rug and a carpet pad, both rolled up in plastic. Mail carrier schlepped them both down our driveway and left them standing on end next to the front door. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

In answer to the question about the USPS, I think the most unusual thing I have ever received from USPS was an empty box. I ordered a recipe book from a company and someone put a label on a box, but forgot to enclose the book! USPS did their job correctly, though. They steadfastly delivered the box ofā€¦nothing but airā€¦to me!!
Judy Miller

1 Like

I canā€™t think of anything really unusual USPS delivered to meā€¦Or maybe itā€™s that they will deliver just about anything, so nothing unusual stands out in my memory. I have received a number of perishable items that have arrived fresh (180 chocolates for a wedding, 3 layer birthday cake) and alive (exotic houseplants). I agree that USPS does not deserve the bad rap it sometimes get.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. xo

1 Like

A breathing apparatus that I hadnā€™t ordered with no other address on it to send it to.

1 Like

My most unusual mail has been piles of mail someone elseā€™s name and my address. Several years ago we would receive several items weekly, sometimes several in 1 week. I brought a bag full to the post office they said there was nothing they could do. Looking for this person online did not help. They stopped coming for a few years. Now they have started again maybe 1 or 2 a month. All are junk bulk mail things .

1 Like

When we moved into a new home during a difficult time, my amazing friend mailed us a move-in house warming gift with everything we would need to make the new transition, and she send it via the US Post Office in an orange Home Depot Bucket! She sealed it with zip ties and that crazy thing arrived in perfect condition. Even our local postman was surprised!

2 Likes

No unusual mail comes to mind. However, I love that my current mail carrier always leaves a dog biscuit for my very old Labrador on top of any package she delivers. And if she doesnā€™t have a package for me, but my dog is out in the yard, she makes a point of stopping and saying hello.

2 Likes