If MDK Comments are Broken, Leave One Here

A moment of wonder: Watching the five Brown Creeper hatchlings fledge, emerging for the first time from their nest which was hidden in the space between the birdhouse and the tree.

1 Like

On the wonder of fireflies… I live in Minnesota. My awestruck moment was seeing the Northern Lights for the first time. Gobsmacked.

2 Likes

I’ve always lived in the west, so never saw fireflies until a family cross country trip in 1990. We stopped in Memphis, TN to visit my aunt and saw fireflies under a magnolia tree (also a first). We were all thrilled!

2 Likes

They were all interested….and quite capable!….around 8 years old. Before that we did old-fashioned spool knitting! By 11, one of them is knitting scarves and cowls…. I have an 18 year-old grand-daughter who loves to knit amazing things! Mostly she floats around Ravelry and finds small critters, hats, mitts….things like that. She isn’t prepared to commit to a sweater!!

I helped out with my daughter’s Grade 4 class (about 9-10 years old), and some of those kids picked it up really quickly. The stars were actually a couple of the boys! They weren’t too fussed about colour choice…mostly they were interested in speed! Next year, we’re going to try to aim for an afghan….we’ll see!

1 Like

The skill set box! Oh my! I might just have to buy one for a total stranger. I don’t know anyone who wants to learn to knit but maybe that box would encourage them.

3 Likes

Fireflies are a joy to see in summer. Twinkling lights on a clouded night.

1 Like

I introduced my granddaughter to fireflies last Saturday night. Magical!

The return of the cicadas after their long hiatus has been wonderful. Once morning I sat on the ground and stared at a car tire (Really!) where a newly emerged cicada shucked its exoskeleton and entered the world as a newborn pale creature wriggled out (with much effort) and began its amazingly transition to the winged chirping flying insect it would be for 6-8 weeks before dying off. (Now, if they’d only skip the chirping. )

I would like to know if your new book on learning how to knit teaches picking or throwing?

Not to pick-knits, ahem, but in your introduction of the new skill set, the yarn (oo-la-la) says it is Rambouillet while the actual order info refers to it as Merino. I’m a born proof-reader and can’t help myself, but maybe it will help you.

1 Like

I have taken to leaving comments on the ordering pages of yarn sellers when there is one. Just how much I love the yarn, or a hi if I know the dyer or shop owner. I hope it gives them a smile. Thanks for the confirmation that it probably does!

2 Likes

Did you know that once a year (in the late summer for temperate species) birds grow an entirely new set of feathers through a complete molt? I didn’t either! Read about it here last year. That’s my “wonder” story. Maybe I’ll get to see the fireflies some day.

1 Like

Last week I was watering plants on the slope above my house, where a wire cage protects a young tree from being eaten by the deer. Suddenly I realize a dragonfly was sitting on one of the top wires, on the opposite side of the cage from me, and it was eating a bee! I watched it for a long time, until it had nearly finished devouring the bee, and then I looked away for a minute. When I looked back to the wire, the dragonfly was gone. It was such a wonder!!

I have lived in Calif. most of my life, but in my 30s I moved to DC for a job. The first time I saw fireflies it took my breath away. After my then-fiance moved there with me and we bought a house, we enjoyed fireflies in the back yard every summer. We are back in Calif now and miss the fireflies, but thankfully I now have dragonflies and hummingbirds (I once watched one, perched on a tomato cage in a pot on my deck just a few feet away from me, flicking out his tongue over and over, cleaning it I suppose) for wondrous entertainment.

1 Like

I have always loved fireflies and remembering the look of wonder in my younger daughter’s face the first time a firefly flickered in her cupped hand still fills me with joy.

1 Like

Leave them on public transit! Can you imagine a few years from now some up-and-coming knit designer saying “It all started when I found a yarn kit on the subway.”!

2 Likes

Fireflies moment…

We had spent a long day at the surfing beach in Belmar, NJ and even though we were board-less we went into the water to rinse off the sand and salt around 5 pm. Floating out past the breakers the surf seemed to be buzzing. We started to back out to knee depth as I was freaking out just a little. The ocean was jumping alive, it was more than wave movement. I was holding on to my husband as we made our way out of the frenzy. Standing there at the water’s edge we realized there were at least 50 Wrays spinning and zooming parallel to the strand. They were feeding on the tiny fish in the shallows! Amazed we weren’t knocked over by them we watched for an hour, wonder-eyed and laughing out loud.
martha blom

1 Like

Oh the firefiles. I love them so much. They should be coming out here soon.

My most magical thing ever happened in the parking lot of my apartment building. It’s a big lot with the building on the south side and a “forest” on the north. The “forest” is about 100 yards deep with a huge executive park on the other side.

I came home one dark and misty autumn night and when I turned into the lot, it took my breath away. I lost count at 50 deer casually strolling around in the fog. There were huge bucks with full racks of antlers and lovely does just wandering around the cars, in and out of the trees, and along all the pathways. I just stopped the car and sat there and watched for about an hour.

4 Likes

World of wonder: unexpected urban fireflies flashing and twinkling under the facade in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium.

2 Likes

Many thanks for this keen observation, all should be corrected to Rambouillet now.
:sheep:

I loved when my niece and nephew would visit from Seattle and stay overnight with us in Michigan- there are no fireflies in Seattle and they enjoyed seeing them here!