Kaffe Fassett: Share Your Masterpieces

Anyone else got historic images of treasured Kaffes?

11 Likes

Wow! What pattern is this? And what yarn did you use?

That is stuning! I have not seen this one. I particularly love the Chanel Jacket shape.

1 Like

So beautiful! I hope you wear it often.

I have one Fassett UFO and am very much on the fence about whether I’ll finish it. Leaning towards turning it into a pillow instead.

It’s Zig Zag, from the Glorious Knits book. Kay, I am shocked! You must sit down with that book at once and refresh your memory! Do not be distracted by the ballet dancer bums!

3 Likes

Glad you like it! It was just a mix of random scraps - and in those days novelty yarns were in vogue.

This, however, is Jamison and Smith 2 ply jumper weight. (Picture shows the back of the waistcoat.)

6 Likes

Love the colours in your 2 ply waistcoat, this is my 8 ply scrap yarn version, knitted in the early 90s - pattern is also from Glorious Knits, the Toothed Stripe Waistcoat.

8 Likes

Love it! Yours really looks like flickering flames. What a great collection that was!

This was the blue version I knitted for my younger sister. She wore it on a trip to New York - we are in the UK - and a woman in the street recognised the pattern.

8 Likes

Good idea! After all, a number of Kaffe’s designs were of their time in terms of shape of garment. And you can enjoy looking at it if it is a pillow. Can we see a picture of it?

Yes, I don’t think the original was that shape. I knitted it for my younger sister to wear in a business context. I’m pretty sure that I just applied the stitch chart to a pattern for a fitted jacket in a chunky weight yarn. It was certainly very warm.

Fabulous! I’ve been thinking that as fashion has evolved, these days a KF vest would be much easier to wear than a whole pullover or cardigan, especially if one lengthened the vest. The Peruvian Connection catalogue has been showcasing a couple of old KF designs remade in that style.

2 Likes

The pattern is China Clouds, from Rowan #28. Several of the colors were substitutes for the original and that patch of oatmeal-white is especially glaring. This is the back (minus the wide border which comes at the end).
The more I ponder things, the more I can tell that this would look much better on a couch than draping my body!

12 Likes

That’s lovely! If it were mine, I’d go with the pillow idea so I could enjoy looking at it more often.

3 Likes

That is a really complex piece of knitting. Presumably, all those outlines are also done in intarsia? Amazing.

3 Likes

This is so beautiful, including the “glaring” bit. I would be so proud to wear it…

2 Likes

i wear my China Clouds often, and get a lot of compliments from muggles all the time!

13 Likes

Really beautiful, what inspirational work. I’m off to check out patterns… I so don’t need another in the queue though.

1 Like

not a quick knit for sure. and the yarn has to be substituted,
i substituted most of mine.
but it was a very satisfactory project to finish!

1 Like

That is really special. I love the contrast between the complex body and the striped bands.

3 Likes

Some images from the trunk show held at my local spinning and weaving guild, including me meeting Kaffe at the book signing. I could think of nothing to say.

10 Likes