Lost My Knitting MOJO

As noted in the topic line I just have lost my love of knitting. I have looked at different patterns, yarns, knitting for others, you name it but nothing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
CJ

2 Likes

For me I go to my stash for a skein of something gorgeous and try out stitch patterns. Maybe it becomes a scarf or cowl for you or a gift, or maybe it becomes sampler wall aren’t, but that usually helps me.

3 Likes

I knit the easiest thing I know, a baby bib. It’s just a garter stitch. I find this more mindless form of knitting helps carry me over those “I’m not in the mood for knitting but I feel like I should be knitting” humps. You can set it down and pick it up again, even mid row, without having to worry about where you are in the pattern. I think it helps feel less guilty because I’m knitting even when I’m not in the mood; even if it’s just a few stitches. Also, it’s good to take breaks.

3 Likes

Oh honey, I feel your pain! This happened to me a while back and I know for a fact that is happened to a lot of people over the past year (some of whom would really surprise you.) You are not alone.

Here are two things that might help:

1. Dig around for an unfinished project (if you have those) and then finish it. You can tell yourself any story you want to make it work. No, you’re no knitting. You’re just being responsible.

2. Grab a ball of dishcloth cotton and a pair of size 7 needles. Cast on 30 stitches. Knit 60 rows (30 ridges) and then bind off. You’ve accomplished something! Go you! Now go wash something with it. Wash the dishes, wash yourself, wash the cat, wash the windows. Whatever you wash, use some soap that smells good to you. Look at you go! You accomplished something and it’s useful! Who’s the winner here? You are! It’s how I ended up with a bunch of washcloths for stocking stuffers in 2020. Paired 'em up with a nice little soap and everyone loved them. DM me if you need supplies for this. I have tons and am right around the corner from the post office.

Whatever you do, sit down and have a firm talk with that little voice in your head that is telling you that you are bad for not knitting. You will knit when you want to and that little voice can keep its filthy mouth shut.

30 Likes

Thank you that helped a lot!

1 Like

Thank you - will do

I did too, for a while. Then a friend was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and is about to lose her hair when she goes through chemo. I just knitted four hats for her. Knitting with purpose always gets me back into it. Knit some tiny baby hats for a NICU, or hats for a chemo hat organization, or knit some Knitted Knockers.

6 Likes

What a good idea! I’m sorry about your friend. I hope everything works out well for her.

2 Likes

Thank you. It will be challenging, but she is ready! She opted for a complete hysterectomy and they found an unrelated cancer in her uterus and the ovarian cancer has metastasized but not distantly. She will have chemo through June or July. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hi CJ! What I do is think of THAT PERSON. You know the one? The one that makes you smile when ya really don’t wanna, or who finds the joy in the smallest thing - a flower, a cute kid, the jeans that fit!. The one that brings joy whenever, wherever, with whomever! You think of that person, and you knit something for them. Remebering all the good times, the times you belly laughed for no reason at all, the times when a hug was just the best thing. The knitting will flow - and it’ll get better. Hugs.

3 Likes

You are so right - thank you!

2 Likes

I was going to suggest dishcloths. They’re easy and fast and everyone appreciates them.

2 Likes

I feel you, dear one. It’s okay to step away. I have myself, and when I’m ready I find great joy in coming back. This is not a job — we need because it brings joy! If it doesn’t, if it doesn’t, step away. It’s okay.

6 Likes

Wow. That helped me too snd I’m knitting like crazy. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

What a lovely reply- it actually brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes! I’ve also lost my knitting mojo a bit and I felt like you were speaking directly to me! Such kind words and great practical advice.

Have a lovely day. :grinning:

5 Likes

That’s great advice thanks! I haven’t felt like knitting either since beginning of January - part of the reason is that I live in two different places, and have stash in both. Once I brought everything under one roof, and organised it all, saw the WIPS still on the needles and new knitting possibilities, my needles started to fly again!
Life is touch enough without feeling guilt over not doing something that gives us pleasure - I love reading, walking, hiking, having a great conversation, watching movies, but I don’t/can’t do them all the time. I am working hard at removing the guilt - having to do/be everything/is a modern-day construct that is being exacerbated by social media => you know: the perfect life/the perfect person :wink:

4 Likes

I hardily agree! I have a very bad habit of stopping a project before finishing but when my college roommate was diagnosed all i could think about while knitting was finishing the sweater and sending to her with LOTS of love! We probably all know someone struggling with the endless treatments and nothing breaks the depressing boredom like a gift!

3 Likes

CJ1 - I agree with the knitting dishcloths but I would add a couple of things: 1 - use them to experiment with pattern stitches or color work; 2 - there are tons of free patterns on Ravelry and Pinterest. Find some that are knitted in different ways. For instance: start at the center and work out to the edge, or one that casts on from the center to the outer edge and is then worked back and forth around the shape till you get back to where you started where you weave your start and end together. Bingo you learned a new skill or practiced one you that was familiar but was maybe not that good at. Hang in there that feeling will go away.

2 Likes

I go through that sometimes. I have found that it’s okay to take a break sometimes and indulge in other pastimes such as reading or gardening. Another approach is learning a new skill. Personally, I am learning nalbinding. It’s the earliest form of creating fabric from yarn and a needle. It’s fairly new to the USA but it has been practiced continuously in Nordic countries. Just a thought.

I wish you all the best and am sure your love of knitting will return.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this–I love the advice and camaraderie shared.
I am new to knitting and knitting like a fiend, but I know I will hit a wall. I will need breadcrumbs to find my way back to this.

5 Likes