Marlalong! We're knitting Field Guide No. 19: Marls

What fun it will be to knit for your grandson. And so cool that he got to pick the colors. That’s the thing I love about knitting – thinking about the recipient along the way . . .

2 Likes

Carol, is this the blues/greens (ie, COOL) kit from MDK or colors you picked yourself? I have the cool kit, but am really not good with “winging” it color-wise and will shamelessly copy yours if it’s the kit! Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry decourtney, I picked the colors—before the cool blue was posted as an option. A couple approaches come to mind that may help you: 1) the pic below is marked with the letters that were in the Field Guide assigned to the red version, or 2) choose the three colors you want to dominate and assign letters by how much is used in the pattern—I used 120g color A, 100g each of colors E and H. Choose a color that you want the least—I used 67g color D. The rest of the colors used similar amounts of 80-94g. (This is the approach I’m using to plan another throw :slightly_smiling_face:) or 3) microswatch with some of the colors you’re not sure about. You might feel more comfortable once you see how the colors play together. However you assign your colors, I think it will be beautiful—awesome yarn and pattern—and there is no wrong! Have fun, I look forward to seeing it!

8 Likes

Thank you for this. A great way to think about options.

Oh my gosh, SO helpful. I really kind of freeze up when presented with too many color options (fabric and paint stores are a nightmare for me) and this gives me some confidence to tackle that box of yarn. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

I also think that because of the “tweediness” there are not too many bad combos with felted tweed. Some of the colors you think you don’t like actually change when marled, it is very interesting to watch.

Good luck!!!

5 Likes

Just starting my Color Explosion throw. This is such a basic question I’m almost embarrassed to ask. I don’t often knit with 2 yarns held together. Can someone offer tips on how to keep the two skeins from getting hopelessly tangled?

3 Likes

I tried to keep them separated, one on each side of my lap. If you have yarn bowls that might help (or just bowls)?

1 Like

I kept all of my yarn in a project bag, and I left the skeins in the bag while I was using them and didn’t have any issues with yarn tangling. The only tip I have is when you join a new color, you knit all three colors together for six stitches; after the 6 stitches I then immediately stopped, cut the color I was no longer using, and wrapped the end back around the skein so it wouldn’t get tangled. Other than that, I had no tangling problems, and I’m just finishing my throw now.

It’s a fun knit, happy marling!

3 Likes

Ya know those produce bags you put your fruit and veggies in when shopping? I put my ball of yarn insude, use a twister seal to close the top (also from the market), snip a tiny corner off and feed the yarn thru! I like being able to throw any yarn I’m currently using in my bag and keep them clean and separate

4 Likes

@nellknits Just wanted to thank you for your “First Knitter” advice on the Throw. I received Felted Tweed for xmas and am just starting; I was struggling with that floppy knit stitch before purl, but just read your fix and went back to Patty’s column, too. I am well taken care of and feeling grateful!

7 Likes

finished my Marlogram Scarf for my final project of the year. I used the Friea shawl balls in the Ember and Flare color ways instead of the lace weight. Cast on 70 stitches. I just love how the colors play together. I wish I had a better camera to show off the colors more

15 Likes

I am delighted that you have received such a fabulous gift and that we could help!
Happy knitting to you.

2 Likes

Agreed! Thanks again for your First Knitter tips Nell!

2 Likes

The end of the year got away from me with a few not so fun disasters, but at long last I finished my Marlogram cowl on the last day of the year:

Here’s to a better year in 2022!

15 Likes

Great colors marled!

2 Likes

Major knitting done and I’m gearing up for finishing. Wish me luck!

23 Likes

It is beautiful! Good luck!

1 Like

So pretty and colorful! Hope your seaming goes well. If you’re using the suggested method and it’s new to you, be patient with the process. It was a new method for me and I was not happy with the first seam so ripped it out. My second attempt went better and each following seam went a bit faster. However you choose to seam, the throw is squishy, warm and so comfy to wrap up in—payoff for your efforts :star_struck:

4 Likes

Wow, wow, wow, that is gorgeous!

2 Likes