Moss Field Throw tables

**In the table for Square 1, lines 5 & 6 read: 2 rows B & F - then 4 rows B & F. This is well after the motif is completed. So why are there 2 lines for the same 2 colors? There are several other examples in the tables. This makes me think I’m not understanding something! I don’t dare start knitting until I’m sure I understand the pattern - please help!

That is strange! I was trying to decide if I should read the table top down, ( probably!) or bottom up ( like a chart. ) I can’t answer your question, but I doubt you are missing anything important. If you are, I’m in the same boat! :blush:

The updated panel patterns are listed in the corrections -
[Corrections – Modern Daily Knitting]

2 Likes

@ginny I’m guessing it’s a mistake. I emailed Kay about that, but I haven’t heard back yet. Be sure to check out the Errata as well because the background colors for 6 squares are incorrect.

@nellknits the Errata doesn’t mention what I believe Ginny is referring to which is Square 1 (actually Square 4) indicating 2 rows of F followed immediately by another 4 rows of F. Looking at the photo, it seems like the last 2 lines of that square reversed.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your comments on today’s ( very helpful) letter.
That same issue from square 4 crops up in square 9, with 1 row of B and G followed by 3 rows of the same combination, and the bottom two lines have 1 row of B and F followed by 27 of the same.

1 Like

@Lorna - Yes, I noticed those too - I’m just going to assume they’re all typos and reconstruct what should have been there as best I can. My head’s spinning from all the changes. Something tells me this pattern was not test knit!

2 Likes

If my understanding is correct, the squares being mislabeled looks more confusing at first glance than it really is, because the three that are supposed to be grouped together in one strip still are. So I don’t think it will be too hard to follow the revised pattern- just do the tables on page 46 first. I think Cynthia’s correction on square 4 makes sense, and by the time I get to square 9, there will be errata for it, most likely! I doubt there is an ugly way to knit up this blanket, but I do want to stick to the pattern because I think it is so stunning as it is written!

@LornaD. Also note that the CCs for the (old/incorrect) square 3 (C not D) and 6 (E not D) are changed in the corrected squares 6 and 3. I’m hoping the codes for the yarn colors are correct! I agree that the blanket will be fine regardless, though I would like the photographed version, too.

2 Likes

Incidentally, if you’re looking for the errata page on MDK, search on “Corrections” as searching on “errata” won’t result in the Corrections page (even though the URL calls it “errata”).

1 Like

I had the same worry that I was reading the pattern incorrectly because of those repeats. I also emailed MDK with the question about the same combinations of yarns repeating in the pattern and got no response. I am working the first block (after seeing the corrections) from the kit, and it looks good, but with so many corrections, I wish they would send out a complete corrected pattern for people who bought the yarn kit.

3 Likes

@BetsyNix @ginny @LornaD How are your Moss Field Throws coming along? Can you share some photos? I’m going to work on mine this afternoon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Square 4 finished. I’m starting the motif on Square 5

1 Like

May I ask if you’re following the pattern/errata or are you doing your own thing with the colors?
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I’m following the pattern errata — or at least I think I am! I wrote out the yarn combos for every row (before I read in the errata that the charts were meant to be read from top to bottom), and I checked off every row.

Betsy

1 Like

Do you think the start of your square 5 (errata previously square 2) should be more green than black? In your photo it looks really black especially if this is where you’re getting ready to add the white circle motif?

I’m trying to decide if I should continue on or wait a bit longer until there are more photos of completed squares! Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Maybe the light is making the green yarn look black. The Witch Ring is done in the black yarn, and the beginning of the second square background is definitely green. Here they are right next to each other.

Betsy

Thanks! Yes, that lighting is better :). I’ll keep plugging along now! Will you post another picture when you finish this square?

Here’s my version of squares 4 and (most of) 5. I’m trying to follow the corrected pattern, but I was halfway through the first square before the errata were posted - which is why the motifs are reversed. The entire first square is knit with Plutoloki Grey, which is quite dark; my circle motif adds Forest, a very dark green, and the Grey is still in there too. In the first square where it lightens up a bit is where the lighter Love Story were switched in; this combination continues partly into Square 5, when the P yarn is finally switched to Clover from Grey. The Ring motif adds Black P yarn in addition to Clover and the lighter green LS. The Square 6 will use all Clover for P and many variations of LS colors; P white is added for the motif in 6. The white line is just my temporary mark separating the squares. Overall it’s so far much darker than I expected.
Ginny

I also started mine before the corrections were posted, so my witches’ ring is in black, not Forest green. I just need some time to knit, and it seems to be in short supply lately. This blanket is not a portable project!

I’m mostly focused on finishing two sweaters right now, but having lots of fun on my blanket when I pick it up! I’m still on the first square. I have never worked with unspun yarn before. I think the combo of the plotulopi and love story is stunning. I feel like I’m painting with yarn.

2 Likes