Need Help w/Short Row Heels

Hi! I really hate to admit this, but I’m having trouble making the short row heel by wrap and turn method. I have looked at so many tutorials and step by step instruction, and still can’t make them without holes. They tend to look like little knots in a row, which I’m sure is not right because it would be so uncomfortable. I’ve ripped it back three times now, will probably need to do it again. I need very simple clear instruction short of someone doing it for me Thanks everyone!

Hi! I have had the same issues but kept on going because I thought (1) I was doing it right, and (2) that’s the way it’s supposed to be! Well, not so. I just discovered multiple fixes in googling “preventing holes in short row knitting”. One very basic hole prevention fix with w&t is to knit BOTH the wrapped “bar” AND the wrapped stitch itself (still on your L needle) “as one” when you come back to work it. If you don’t pass your R needle through BOTH wrapped bar (below the st) and the wrapped st itself on your L needle, it leaves a lil hole. Who knew? The hole is magnified even more if you incorrectly work the “double wrapped” sts that occur later in the pattern because, well, it’s the initial hole times two. I just viewed some helpful YouTube videos by Roxanne Richardson where she explains what’s going on and demonstrates multiple short row techniques, some of which I never knew about. There are other videos she does on subbing SR techniques in a pattern and a separate video on sock heels! So I thank you for your question bc it helped me find some possible answers! Hope this helps. Kathy

5 Likes

Thank YOU, Kathy. I am going to try what you’ve said and see if that makes a difference.
I am also trying Cat Bordhi’s Sweet Tomato Heel, where the heel is turned in “wedges”. I am also considering starting over completely, as my sock is very wide. I cast on 72 sts, and its about 2 inches wider than my thick winter socks. I think I will be the last person to finish a “first” sock the way things are going!

1 Like

Good luck! I made the 72 st sock also and it fits my (sturdy) ankles well without binding, but the foot is a bit loose. So next steps in future socks will be adjusting the two parts to accommodate!

1 Like

I have done w&t short rows and German short rows in other garment knitting. I’ve also knit socks before - using flap and gusset heel and slip stitch heel. After two unsuccessful and frustrating attempts to follow the pattern, I very easily substituted the gusset heel.

1 Like

You are not alone! I can’t get past the heel on a pair practice toddler socks worked two at a time on 40 inch cable (which is another source of aggravation). I, too, have watched several videos multiple times. I did find Cat Bordhi’s video on eliminating the visible signs of the wrap helpful. You and I may be vying for last place to finish a pair of socks.:weary:

1 Like

First time sock knitter here and I’m also stuck but I plan to do German short row instead of wrap and turn- so will see how it goes. I’ll try to do a practice swatch first.

1 Like

After watching a few instructional videos on how to eliminate the holes in w&t short rows, I attempted my latest heel again, knitting together each initial (heel “dome” increase) wrap along with the wrapped live stitch, which is sorta like either a k2tog or p2tog when you do it. However, in the second half of the heel, the pattern instructs to w&t an already wrapped st after you “work” the previous w&t (~k2 tog/p2tog). When I got to the point of “working” the doubly wrapped st, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to knit or purl the 2 wraps together the live stitch, but I did so, with what I thought was a too-loose result. I finally found a ~20 min video by Suzanne Bryan on w&t which confirmed you work the two wraps with the live st, like either a k3tog or p3 tog. There are additional techniques she covers to insure the worked w&t stitches stay neat. However, after working the heel twice I was still not satisfied and switched over to German Short Rows for the heel, with a much tighter result. Suzanne Bryan has an excellent video on this technique as well.

1 Like

Ive passed through the heel with the sweet tomato heel. Still, im sure I didn’t do it right, but Im going to keep going…

1 Like

I have done a gusset heel on a sock, and ended up ripping back the entire sock last winter. It was a little confusing, but I think its the traditional way, and has worth and a place in modern socks. I’m going to keep moving on with what I’ve got so far. It really shouldn’t be this difficult, but I figure I’m just an old dog learning new tricks. The more tricks the better- keeps the mind active.

To Mrearly: ha! So you’re my competition for last place! Maybe they’ll have a prize for that, or maybe remedial sock class😉

Thank you Kathyjw8722. I will check out the videos you mentioned. I keep wondering how so many knitters are actually successful with the w&t, and whats the secret. I’m really mystified, and it makes me want to try and conquer it. Not sure that’s possible-- yet!

Keep going, Onkoid. There’s nothing more satisfying than figuring things out in knitting, but sometimes you feel like you’re going to go crazy first!:wink:

1 Like

You and I will finish at the same time! I’ve started over three times, mainly in order to find the right needle size. But I’m having a helluva time on those short row heels, mostly the double wrap. I like German short rows usually, but the doubling makes it really hard, so I’ve been doing a hybrid (German short row first time, w&t second time) that leaves a nice finish on one side, but holes on the other. Thanks for asking your question!

I’m also getting frustrated with holes in short row heels. I’d love to hear why that method was chosen for this Field Guide and tips from Kay on how she’s doing it, since it seems she’s new to sock knitting.

2 Likes

I am an experienced knitter (have experience with German Short Row) and have knitted socks – just not with the short row heel. I am flummoxed by this technique in heels. I have ripped out a couple of times already, once to get better sizing and once or maybe twice bc of short row heel. I cannot make these without a big hole right at the end. My current solution, rather than ripping out again, is to just weave in a couple of stitches to fill the hole. I’ll look at some recommended websites above to see if I can ever figure this out. Thanks to kathyjw8722 for the suggestions.

Make perfect fitting socks, toe up or top down, with easy no-flap and no-gusset heels using fishlips kiss heel (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fish-lips-kiss-heel). Adapts to any pattern and customizes to any foot. Unique twin stitch turns are really easy and no holes or gaps!!!

1 Like

Try watching Knit Purl Hunter’s German Short Row heel - that’s what worked for me!

1 Like

Yep. Totally agree with the FLK as the best short row variation. So easy to memorize as well.

Oh my gosh. I am bumfuzzled, bewildered and scared to death. I’m watching Utube videos for turning my first ever sock heel on this toothpick and string (albeit beautiful string!) project. This close attention sure eats up a Saturday morning, but I’m sure it will be worth it. <takes a deep breath, exits the Lounge, and heads back to Utube for recommended videos again> (they make it look so easy!

2 Likes