Pick up & stitch count

I’m knitting a cardigan and now need to pick up & knit stitches for the front band.
The pattern says:
Starting at the bottom of right front, pick up and knit 3 sts for every 4 rows of knitting until you come to the neck sts you have on hold. Knit neck sts.
Pick up and knit sts along left front, making sure you pick up the same number as you did along the right front.
You want to have a total stitch count that is divisible by 4+2.”

I know how to pick up stitches. I don’t get the total stitch count.

Is it divisible by 4 PLUS 2 extra stitches. If yes, are the 2 extra stitches = one stitch each on either front side?

I’m ready to just wing it and hope for the best!

2 Likes

Oh, you’re nearly finished!
You’re correct that the count (for each side - they should match) is a multiple of 4 stitches, plus 2 extra stitches.

1 Like

And the Plus 2? Do I pick up 2 extra Styron each left and right front? Or 1 extra stitch on each?

1 Like

Oops! Spellcheck, what the heck! 2 extra stitches!

1 Like

The total count of stitches picked up should be a multiple of four stitches, plus two more. All in the same row. The math ensures that the border stitch will fit.
Is the pattern a knit 2 purl 2 rib? If so, that is a multiple of 4, and if you add 2 more stitches, the row will end with 2 knit stitches - making a symmetrically balanced ridge of fabric.
Please feel free to mention the border stitch pattern, if this isn’t making sense.
:smile:

1 Like

Also, depending on pattern and how noticeable it is, if you are off by a stitch or two, I would likely increase or decrease in the next row rather than starting over, but that is personal preference.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! I’m on my way to knit the front band with a clear understanding of how to do it. :-))

2 Likes

Let us know how yours goes! Last month, I steeked my Stopover cardigan and it has been in button band vacation since then. It might wait until 2023, who knows how much free time I’ll have this next 6 or 7 weeks.

1 Like

The button band count worked out, thank goodness! I jotted notes on the pattern for next time. :wink:

3 Likes

Photos? We’d love to see!

2 Likes