Refreshalong: Trellis Top Talk

Just continue following the pattern. There are no increases or decreases until later. So you will have the same number of stitches until you get to shaping of the neck and the bind off section. I think that’s what it means. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I went over your instructions and didn’t realize I had to K8 after each of the pattern stitches. I was almost ready to give up on this…this forum has been a huge help.

3 Likes

I had that trouble as well when I was doing it. I find by counting out the stitches it helps. I was missing the brackets to repeat the K8 as well. It’s really a beautiful pattern and I’m so glad you continued on. Here’s mine at around 9”.

6 Likes

Purl Soho has 1” diameter buttons in several colors and, for a splurge, mother-of-pearl.

2 Likes

Ok, I am managing row 7 of the lace repeat but just got to the first row 7 after the second setup row. There’s that cable straddling the end of the trellis sections and beginning of the stockinette sections… Do you knit it into the stockinette section?

3 Likes

There is some debate about the process earlier on. The 8 stitch repeat moves over 3 stitches. If you are a religious user of markers, as I am, you need to slip the first stitch of the RC, do the RC and then K2 and replace the marker. If you are just a great chart reader, you follow the pattern as written (but I am not that girl). The big thing, for the marker folks, is that you need to move them back before the first row of the chart, which I have been doing on the purl row, because it is easy to just count 8 stitches. I don’t know how to describe it better in writing–am more than happy to try and find a time to show you on a VC if helpful

3 Likes

Thanks, I will check them out!! I do like the mother-of-pearl (I am guessing) that are pictured with the top. Yarn is on the way; it might be here today or tomorrow–doing happy dance.

1 Like

Here they are, and they are doing free domestic shipping!

5 Likes

Oh, awesome. They are perfect! Appreciate the information.

1 Like

If I slip the first stitch of every row in stockinette will I have trouble later with the applied I-cord being the Carol’s tutorial says to pick up three stitches for every four rows?

1 Like

You will have to adjust the ratio since the slipped stitch I think covers 2 rows.

Thank you but since math is not my forte, I think I should stick with pattern as written! Just happy that I realized it at row 9.

1 Like

Mood Fabrics in NYC also has large buttons and they come in horn as well, so if you’re looking for a dark alternative…

2 Likes

This is turning out so nicely!

2 Likes

Excellent buttons :slight_smile: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yarn is now wound! Next is to swatch & hope to do that this weekend.

3 Likes

I’m halfway up the back, and I just realized that I’m STILL doing it wrong. Not that it matters all that much, as long as I’m consistent. What I’ve been doing on Row 7 is going one stitch into the stockinette sections in order to do the right-leaning stitch (1/1RC), and what I should have been doing is to knit the last three stitches in that section (after the 1/1LC). I circled the “mistake” in the photo below. If I had done this correctly, the lattice pattern would have had a tidier edge, ending where shown by the blue arrow. I will probably do this correctly when I am making the front of the sweater, since no one will be able to see the front and the back at the same time!

3 Likes

Just started my top. I love the yarn and the pattern, but it doesn’t seem like it is going to be a quick knit unless I am just trying to be extra careful so that I don’t make a mistake.

3 Likes

Here is the story of my top:
It didn’t look like any of your pictures. There is a thing called bias in error, and one form of bias is when you base your conclusions on a firmly held belief which is incorrect. In my case, I believed my error was in Row 7, I literally frogged the top 5 times before I realized that my error was in fact in Row 1, which I had been knitting with RC in the LC position and vice versa. Which brings me to a request to designers everywhere: would it be possible to make the distinction more obvious between two very similar symbols? Those of us who are challenged in the eyesight department have great difficulty distinguishing the very subtle differences often employed to change a stitch from one orientation to another.
Change the color? Change the font? Anything?
I had a similar dilemma with a sock pattern in which a “M1L” symbol became a M1L purl by adding an INFINITESIMAL dot next to the symbol, which I missed of course…
Until then, my next pattern will be enlarged and reprinted and liberally highlighted in advance so I don’t make a silly mistake like this again!

3 Likes

Oh Veronica122, so sorry this happened to you. I’ve never learned to follow charts yet and I’m in awe of those who can. That being said I am thankful for patterns that also use the written out version row by row. I am a huge electronics fan so I like to follow my patterns online. I have an online app that I use to follow my patterns. The benefit for me is that I can always enlarge and highlight anywhere in the pattern, whether it’s the written or chart. It also has multiple counters that stay even when I close or go to a different pattern. I was able to download the whole field guide in the app.

Maybe if you print out your pattern, you could highlight the chart to help you. It is so discouraging to rip out but so glad you figured out what was going wrong. I must say knitting and following patterns is keeping my mind active. :crazy_face::rofl:

2 Likes