Team Blanket No. 2: For Survivors of a House Fire

Just sent it. I forgot to attach the file. Which is the email equivalent of walking around with toilet paper stuck to your shoe!

3 Likes

got it! Thank you so much!

Hi! I havenā€™t received the pattern yet. Could you send it to me?? Thanks!
Val

Iā€™m happy to join in from Texas also! Iā€™m flat out starting from scratch here and will grab some yarn (havenā€™t used this one, so look forward to something new) but will also need the pattern.
My email is: dawnhaddox@gmail.com

Hi Nell,

Thanks for the offer of the skien of brown so our squares will coordinate. Iā€™m going to get a skien of Aztec Turquoise to go with the brown. Could I get you a skien of the color of your choice?? What a fun thing to do ā€“ trade yarn. Iā€™m planning to purchase online from Jimmy Bean, as my LYS does not carry Lambā€™s Pride, and I guess MDK doesnā€™t either.

Hereā€™s a link for you to see what colors are available. Let me know and Iā€™ll order both skien together.

My address is 10 Cinnamon Teal Pl, The Woodlands, TX 77382.

Thanks again!! I enjoy following you on Instagram.

Kind regards,

Jan Grimmer

832-728-1758

I know I promised a happy story from after the fire but I just came here to share one with you and saw the exchange between Val and Nell and Iā€™m overwhelmed be the kindness and the generosity is happening here. Gonna need a minute to get myself together and dry my happy tears.

ETA: Daggnabit! I was so weepy that I said Val instead of Jan.

1 Like

I am amazed by all of you. You give me faith in the goodness of regular people.

2 Likes

I just PMā€™d you and will send your skein out on Monday. xo

1 Like

Hi Nell,

I replied to the email, but not sure if it went through. Iā€™m going to order some Azure Turquoise
yard from Jimmy Bean (Lambā€™s Pride, of course). Let me know what color you would like and Iā€™ll trade you that color for your skein of the brown or gray in the photo. Sound like a plan??
My address is 10 Cinnamon Teal Pl., The Woodlands, TX 77382

1 Like

Wow! That was a wonderful little happy cry.

I promised a good ā€œafter the fire storyā€ and Iā€™ll start with my favorite.

People are often surprised to find this out about me but, in a crisis, I go into ā€œgoā€ mode. On a regular day, it wouldnā€™t hurt my feelings one bit if you called me a flake. I generally live my life seeing the humor in everything and assuming that everything will turn out okay. But when it doesnā€™t, I turn into a force to be reckoned with. (For the record, it only lasts in the crisis. I usually have a total melt down a few hours later.)

The fire started in the in the wee small hours of the morning. My phone rang sometime between 5 and 6 am. My sister is a teacher so sheā€™s up early and had the news on. By 6 am I was on the phone with a group of friends and my mom getting as much clothing together as we could find. Most of the people who were on the street were in their underwear or pajamas. It had snowed earlier that night so it was freezing cold and wet. The weather had been so bad that I literally got my car out of ice and snow through sheer force of will and got as much stuff out to people as we could right away.

Later in the day I had a total meltdown when I remembered that my friendā€™s daughter had already bought her prom dress. It broke my heart.

The next morning, I was picking up some supplies from my friend Jean to bring to the hotel where everyone was staying. I mentioned the prom dress and she immediately said ā€œWait! I have prom shoes!ā€ She ran upstairs and came down with a beautiful pair of silver, high healed, strappy sandals. We didnā€™t know if they would fit but figured it was worth the try.

They fit the girl like they were made for her!

Later that same day, I had agreed to go to a party. I went to high school with the woman who was hosting it and was terrified of her. Through an odd series of events, she ended up inviting me. I said yes because I have no filter at all (see my note above about being a flake) but by the time I had to leave to go I was asking myself why on earth was I doing this. I hadnā€™t laid eyes on her since 1987.

My plan was to show up 1/2 an hour late, stay for an hour and go home. Turned out, I showed up an hour early (duh) and ended up staying all night because she grew up into a lovely, lovely woman who is now a good friend.

The fire was big news, and, because I was living in the neighborhood, everyone was asking me how to help. I mentioned the prom dress and my ex-mean girl, new-old friend said ā€œIā€™ll be right backā€. She sent me a home with a dress that was the last dress you would have chosen for this girl.

I brought it to the hotel the next morning and spoke to her privately and told her that she didnā€™t have to wear it. The dress was a kind gesture but she wasnā€™t obligated to wear it. She wanted to try it on. Alone.

Five minutes later, she walked out in the dress and the shoes and even the hotel housekeeper burst into tears. She was stunning.

I genuinely believe that when we let the best in ourselvesā€“generosity, sharing, non-judgement, etcā€“shine through, it will always be good.

9 Likes

This is try on two days after she lost everything. I wish I had a pic from the actual prom. She was stunning.

12 Likes

Please count me in if there is room in the group. I have sent an email with my contact information. A copy of the pattern would be lovely, please and thank you.

I will be purchasing yarn as the yarn I have is in shades of orange from my pumpkin period. (For several years I was totally obsessed with knitting pumpkins and gourds, felting the results and experimenting with shaping the results.).

Thank you so much to MDK for setting up this whole thing. And thank you to YOU for coordinating a blanket.

(Trusting and hoping this has been posted correctly.)

Thanks for the happy cry this morningā€¦This is such a beautiful story, and it gives me such hope in humankind!

And now Iā€™m crying again! My email is blowing up this morning. @ncpinn was the first one and they keep coming in. Looking forward to our other new folks joining us here.

Iā€™ve managed to get all the emails answered so far and have to jump in the shower or Iā€™ll be late for work. Luckily, I work really close to home. The only traffic I hit is if someone is in front of me at the stop sign!

More laterā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to help! My dad was a fire fighter in Seattle and his stories always terrified me. I know I have some lambā€™s pride in grey, red, off white and black. Might have a few other random bits too - lime green and hot pink. Iā€™ll send you an email as I will need a pattern.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @planet.hobbs. I have a lot of firefighters in my life and it always amazes me how these seemingly normal people just run into fires while everyone else is running away. Our firefighters in Yonkers are also very, very generous folks. Theyā€™ve been committed to The Ronald McDonald House in Manhattan for many years. They raise a ton of money and give so much of their time to the kids. I adore them!

As soon as I get youā€™re email, Iā€™ll send you the pattern.

1 Like

If you still need squares, Iā€™d love to join the team. Iā€™ve sent you an email as well.

I already have the pattern; just need to pick up the yarn.

I would love to join as well! I have the pattern also, but will need yarn-yippee! A very good reason to buy yarn.
I am in Rockland County so would also be interested in helping out with the sewing up, and of course I heard about this fire.
Thanks for organizing. So great to be able to DO something.

Hi Karen, I just sent you and email. Looking forward to joining your group. You are a special person that is for sure.

I feel sure I can make this deadline, even now as I procrastinate paying work. :stuck_out_tongue:
I am not local to NY but there are fires over on this edge too, so on my mind as well.
I happen to have one lambā€™s pride skein in onyx, but hoping to use other worsteds in my stash with it, or instead. Is that ok?