Technique Number 2: Intarsia

The brand-new, very clever Brambling Shawl pattern by Bristol Ivy is how we will explore the technique of changing colors in the middle of a row.

Here’s where you can watch Jen’s tutorial for intarsia.

How’s it going for you? We have that bungee-jumping feeling, though we’ve never actually bungee-jumped.

3 Likes

This month’s pattern is definitely another one not to think about before just casting on. Grab some needles and get knitting. Before you know it, you’ll be intarsia-ing like a pro! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Intrigued by the way this pattern creates long curved swaths of color, right in the middle of the shawl. It’s not something you can achieve with any other technique.

4 Likes

Looking in the shop for the Cumulus. Can you tell me if one of the sets is the original colorway and which set it is?[quote=“Ann1, post:1, topic:1227, full:true”]
The brand-new, very clever Brambling Shawl pattern by Bristol Ivy is how we will explore the technique of changing colors in the middle of a row.

Here’s where you can watch Jen’s tutorial for intarsia.

How’s it going for you? We have that bungee-jumping feeling, though we’ve never actually bungee-jumped.
[/quote]

1 Like

Hi! The Revere colorway is the original colorway shown in the photos of the Brambling Shawl.

Thank you! Just coming back to say I figured it out and just placed my order!

1 Like

Yes I felt bad admitting to being an intarsia-phobe in the presence of @Kay and her INCREDIBLE Kaffe Jacket, but I really was so adamant I couldn’t do it. And then along came Bristol and her incredibly clever Harewood Hap, and I was a complete convert. I knew then that we had to spread the good news!!
But yes, Bristol’s ability to get the blocks of colour to make those intersecting curves is nothing short of GENIUS. :sunglasses: She is one CLEVER LADY!

6 Likes

I admit I am also an intarsia phobe. I tell myself I don’t like instarsia to avoid having to knit it.

3 Likes

Well, I might actually try intarsia now! I also told myself I didn’t like it and that there was no point when you can just make fair isle everything all the time–this shawl makes me think it might be worth trying, and Jen’s video makes it look so simple and not at all scary!

2 Likes

I’m not an intarsia phobe. Have done a couple of art pieces using the technique. It wasn’t a big leap for me since I had used intarsia when weaving tapestries. Am wanting to do lace next so will probably skip this shawl. Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s projects!

2 Likes

I promise it really is simple. :innocent: Dive in and give it a go. :clap::clap:

So…first time with intarsia and I am super excited!
But…I really hate fuzzy yarn.
will any lace weight work?

3 Likes

I love intarsia, but not triangular shawls. Will wait for the next one.

2 Likes

I’d suggest a yarn with a bit of give in it, as that will help to keep the joins neat. Beyond that you’re just looking for a nice drapey fabric. So if you have some heavy lace weight definitely swatch and see what you think, but my gut feeling is that 4 ply might be better in a non-fuzzy yarn. I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Doing intarsia even though I have studiously avoided it for decades is part of the fun. This year of techniques let’s me branch out in ways I might not independently consider, do things I might not use, discover things I may love and didn’t even know about, and forces me to master instructions and videos every single month. I’m even convincing myself that the first three months of yarn that I ordered that brought more pastels into my life than I have ever imagined, may spark some fresh discoveries. Color preferences are powerful and I am a person that believes all colors can serve a purpose. Eager to see how this month goes.

6 Likes

I’m taking the same attitude. It’s liberating to just say I’m going for whatever technique comes. Intarsia, though, is an old friend. (Or is that frenemy?)

5 Likes

I’ve just ordered my yarn and the book. I’ll play catch-up with the mitts later. I’m excited but a little worried about doing Intarsia so I’m keeping Ann’s (I think) quote: “It’s fluffy, it’s pretty, it’s going to be fun !” As my mantra.
Michele

2 Likes

last night in a fit of “who cares if i have a whole bunch of projects on needles” i remembered that i have several balls of cascade kid seta, and the like, and figured that even if it’s not the yarn in the pattern, maybe it would be fun to pull that stuff out, and see what happens. i tried making something with that yarn many months ago, and got flat out agitated with the cobwebness of it.

last night, i felt kinda entranced by it. i don’t know if this is some kind of party foul i’m committing, but i’m just jumping in anyway. i have a hunch i’m gonna want to get the Cumulus kit too. because that’s just how i roll.

7 Likes

Kid seta is beautiful! And I’m a huge substituter, as are most people in
the Lounge. Go for it! CNt wait to see what yours looks like.

4 Likes

I’m anxiously awaiting the new shipment of cumulus so I can start! This is a totally new technique for me and my fingers are itching to dig in. Is there a waiting list or do we just wait for news that the yarn has arrived? Just loving this YOT - thanks so much Ann, Kay and Jen! Each month I’m like a little girl waiting to see what the new technique will be and then excitedly playing with the “new toy” :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like