The Daytripper Cardigan

Hi Dawn, I’m in San Diego. So, yeah, when mine is finished, Ill let my dress form wear it! I’m planning a vest version, though, with a light MC. Vests are great to have living on the coast. Your colors will be perfect for Fall!

You are supposed to have 3 steek stitches at the beginning of the row and 3 steek stitches at the end of the row. It is hard for me to guess what happened, but maybe the 5 stitches of the last repeat and the 3 of the steek (8 total) became two repeats by accident along the way? Using the stitch markers between each repeat and for each steek helped me keep it all straight. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

3 Likes

I just steeked. I’m not sure the needle feeling shows up but the 2 edges of the opening are felted.

12 Likes

Thanks for the post. Yep, it’s getting pretty warm! Today I’m in shorts.

Very nice colors and I can see the needle felting.

1 Like

I like your colors. I’ve discovered I really like brown and your colors go great here.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. For some reason I’m drawn to fall colors quite a bit. I already had the brown Lopi, so I went with colors that complemented the brown.

1 Like

Not sure why it takes me a dozen rows to do the count I should have done earlier.

So despite a steek chart of three stitches, it is a 6 stitch steek. Thought that at the cast on direction but it is unclear. Would have helped if the steek chart was labeled “3 stitch repeat.”

Looking at pics, everyone else did a 6 stitch. It is the only way to get the yoke chart repeats and +1 stitch to work.

Arithmetic, it’s what the world needs now!

3 Likes

I read it wrong and did a 3 st steek. From what I am being told it will be ok and still work. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Ok sleeve decrease question. If it says decrease every 8 or 6 rounds is that on the 8th or 6th row or the next row after these. I was never 100% sure how that worked.

2 Likes

I take it to mean on the 8th or 6th row (as opposed to having 8 or 6 plain rows between). So I just place a little pin in that stitch so it’s easy to count rows, starting with the stitch above that.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought also. Thank you again.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did rip back for two reasons. I want to try needle felting the steek and the wider steek seemed better for that. With only 3 in the steek, my stitch count wasn’t right for doing the yoke repeats +1. I wanted the mirroring that provides.

Great to have knitter’s choice!

2 Likes

You can survive with three stitches in the steek. You really have to have three or more, so that you have a center line to follow when cutting, and one stitch minimum, to sew along on either side. Having 5 just gives you a little more fold-back area. Don’t start over.

Fabulous idea to needle felt it. I shall definitely do that for a cardi. I have the needles for it, as I make creatures and such in needle felting. Love cross-pollination of skills.

2 Likes

I made a Destination pullover with no issues, but now that I’m working on a Daytripper, I’m confused. For my size, I cast on 67 stitches. Six of those are marked off for the steek, leaving 61 stitches. But the first four rows have a 4-stitch repeat. So I’ll have 15 repeats plus an extra stitch. What do I do with that extra stitch?

1 Like

That will be the leftmost stitch in the yoke chart, to the left of the black line. You do the 4 stitch (increasing to 12 stitch) repeat 15 times, plus that last stitch to make the motif symmetric. I hope that helps!

2 Likes

@hollyr, thank you so much! Now I get it. I haven’t worked color work charts much and thought that square to the left just represented the first stitch of the next repeat.

I finished this daytripper. I love the colors but it is just a scooch too small. This one is too fitted. So it’s going to my sister who loves it and will give it a good home. I’m starting a 2nd one exactly like this, but the 4th size. I don’t even mind because I just love the colors!!

11 Likes

I am glad I read this because I was wondering about that too. I thought it was only three stitches.

1 Like