The Daytripper Cardigan

I’m using a set of Addi clicks in the lace length with a shorter cable and it seems to be working. Regular length needles were too long.

Is it necessary to anchor the floats in this pattern? I’m on the fence.

1 Like

LaRue, I am only anchoring the floats that span 7 stitches. This yarn is so grippy that even floats over an inch long are sticking close to the fabric.

3 Likes

Hi, Sara—I was glad to see your confirmation that the last repeat has 5 sts., but I’m not sure of what you mean by the part about working that area according to the chart between the white, bonded lines. Could you clarify that for me? Thanks—

Bolded*, not bonded

Sorry, they are black lines in the book, I had reverse colors on in my tablet.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve got a grasp if the steek stitches correctly at the start of Daytripper. (yeah) . I seem to have 3 steek stitches, BoR marker then 3 more steek stitches at the start of the round. The chart seems to indicate 3 steek stitches. I have read the instructions over and over. What am I not getting? Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks

I took it to mean complete the 3 stitch steek repeat on each side of the future opening, ie at the beginning and end of each round. Regardless of whatever else happens in the pattern, they are not affected, and they are not included in the stitch counts. I could be wrong, but better too many stitches there than too few, right?

2 Likes

Thanks for responding! So is that what you did if you’re making this garment? I did a test on a sample ending up with just the three stitches for the steek. Further on in the pattern I read “steek stitches 3 and 5,” so maybe I was on the right track after all. I guess that means that each time you come to the steek at the end and beginning of the rounds that you follow the 3-stitch steek color code on the chart. I managed to scour through the Knitalong posts to find out what the symbol for increase meant. There is no legend on the chart. I did the ribbing and then went on to get the hang of the German short row section, so now it’s back to my actual cardi. It was a rehearsal for the Real Deal! I like the idea of a wider steek as I am a newbie with the technique! Although I seem to remember reading that a steek was usually an odd number of stitches rather than even! Yikes. So much to learn and know.

1 Like

It sounds like you are building quite a few skills with this project! That’s great. How lucky we are, too, being in a group where people are so generous in sharing their knowledge and experience. KNITTERS are the best!

4 Likes

I’m cooking with gas now! It’s amazing to me how many times you can read something and it takes a while for the penny to drop. Helps if one slows down a bit to take it all in. Thanks for your input - so very helpful. And yes, knitters and quilters are indeed the best about sharing their knowledge. Lucky us!

5 Likes

Well I’ll say a big AMEN on that one:)

1 Like

Checking here—after one completes the yoke chart and starts the increase round, we include the steek stitches in the knit instructions, but not in the stitch counts? That’s the only way the divide for sleeves and body instructions make sense. I think that should be made explicit in the instructions.

2 Likes

Correct, ignore the steek stitches when checking the count. See the note under the Yoke heading on page 45.

4 Likes

My Flexi Flips arrived and I cast on yesterday. I’m loving using the flexi flips for this. At first the aluminum ( I think there was a backorder on the bamboo, that was my first choice) anyway, it was a bit slippery, but once I got a few inches of the scarf done, it’s fast going now.

3 Likes

Divided for the sleeves and a few rows in on the body. It’s getting very warm here in California…need to finish soon or the Lopi wool will start to be too itchy to work with…I like to switch to cotton this time of year.image

8 Likes

I am ready to steek! I’m going to needle felt the stitches and then cut the steek. I back stitched the edges and the middle where I will cut the steek. I learned this at MDK and have used it before so expect only good results! Fingers crossed!!

9 Likes

So exciting!!! Your sweater is beautiful!!!Post after steeking!!

1 Like

I will!! Thank you. The light is not great. The color is actually light blue. It’s called Heaven Blue Heather. I loved it so much I might make a second bigger size with same color!!

1 Like

Are you doing them on the scarf? or the cardigan? The Flexiflips won’t be large enough for the cardigan. That is probably obvious, but I wanted to make sure I hadn’t led someone astray if they hadn’t used the flexiflips before.

Now I am seriously confused. I am row 24 of the yoke and have three stiches ONLY for the steek. Was I supposed to have 3 x 2.? I just read the part about stiches 4 and 5 of the steek and only have three/ DOes anyone have the answer. Please and thank you!