If MDK Comments are Broken, Leave One Here

6/13: bears, beets, battlestar galactica!!!

Comments were not working
I love the journal, beautiful color

looks like comments is brokenā€¦however Iā€™m leaving it here. Just got back from a camping trip in the white mountains in new hampshire. Had a great time. Saw a young bear and was unarmed with a camera or my phone (the phone may bot have worked anyway since there was no cell service where we were. It was great to get away and relax. Mosquitos were remarkable! Swarming their little mosquito bodies a LOT. Glad we brought a screen house to relax in!

Beets! Beets! Couldnā€™t leave a note in the blogā€¦so leaving it hereā€¦ I love beets; I love MDK Field Guides and I like old rhymes.

So as to the port red vs beet red. I am just going to say either are good for you in moderation. But to the cashier who asked if they were for eating or planting. It could have been said they are for dying yarn.

Hi,

My comment on the Atlas Insider has disappeared. I donā€™t have a story about beets as they are not a favorite.

However, I liked the idea of leaving a note when ordering. It reminds of ordering by phone, and having talking with the person while placing my order.

Re Beets, and replying to Margoā€™s chit chat from Washington state:

Could you please send some rain south to us in Northern California? Iā€™m in the Sierra foothills and we are dry as a bone. Heard today on the news that one of the local reservoirs (important water supply for the valley towns) is only at 1/3 capacity! The snow pack on the mountains usually lasts til 4th of July, and this year it had just about all melted before June arrived. Scary dryā€¦

I love the beet-red journal, I even like beets, especially on salad with a nice home-made vinaigrette. We get great beets - both the red and the golden ones - from our local farmā€™s weekly CSA box. And as it finally cooled off tonight, I am wearing a beet-red lacy shawlette over my shoulders. Got to enjoy the hand knits before the record-breaking heat wave arrives tomorrow.

Thanks for the wonderful messages each week. I love your Atlas Insider notes, DG. Keep up the great work, and thanks for the great shipments!!

2 Likes

This sounds terrific! Iā€™ll have to try it - we have golden beets from our local farm CSA in the fridge right now. Thanks!!

I so enjoy your Atlas Insider stories and all the commentsā€¦ This morning I received a recipe for Beet and Carrot Slaw from our local farmers who provide a weekly CSA box - I think it sounds great! Maybe others would like to try it too: Moroccan Grated Carrot and Beet Salad Recipe (simplyrecipes.com). PS, I love that beet red journal cover :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a MDK subscriber and love checking my inbox each day for a ā€œtreatā€ from your team! I had the chance to sit and knit a bit pre-pandemic in Sarasota with Kay and Ann and it was delightful!

Today is our 50th wedding anniversary, which is a thing of wonder all by itself, I have been told. However, my wonder now is that although my husband suffered a stroke this week (his 2nd), we were able to get him medical help and he is on the mend as I write. I am so grateful for the doctors, nurses and people who make the medicines that are helping him.

As I sit here and knit on the couch in his room, I wonder at all of this and am thankful.

Judy Miller

4 Likes

My grandson just discover fireflies upon moving to Chapel Hill NC from New Orleans. I had great fun catching fireflies as a youngster in the foothills of NC. And I had great fun at the retreat in Sewannee.

1 Like

I remember chasing fireflies at night with other kids and putting them in the mailbox to ā€œsurpriseā€ the mailman. Ah, youth. And, the fireflies in the Smoky Mts. are fabulous!

1 Like

I get the woodland fairy lights awestruck reaction. Joe and I were walking along a creek one summer evening years ago, and emerged from woods into a meadow knee-high in grass, just as all the fireflies rose and started blinkkng. It was as if all the stars were trying to get back into the sky at once. And they werenā€™t all the exact same colors! Never seen again. Even though we went back in later evenings.

3 Likes

I can share in that recollection of seeing the synchronous fireflies in the Smokies. Every year I put my name in the lottery to be picked as one of the lucky few to go to Elkmont to witness this phenomena. It still gives me goosebumps to think about seeing them. Even so, seeing my fireflies at my home will always bring me joy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was so scared of fireflies as a child, took a long time to recover!

2 Likes

One of the most beautiful things I associate with fireflies is watching my 6 year old granddaughter catching them. She was so excited giggling laughing dancing as she caught them and placed them in her jar to look at one more time and then let go. You see she lives in NY in a 5th floor apartment. Her wonders at nature are awesome to watch and bring smiles to my face.

Emily

3 Likes

My ā€œwonderā€ story like many centers on watching my (now grown) children chase fireflies, giggling all the time. The giggle that only comes from little ones. And just last week, I sat in awe as one landed on my living room window, little splashes of light in pitch black darkness. What an amazing living creature!

3 Likes

My tale of wonder is simply watching the sun rise.

2 Likes

I wonder why fireflies arenā€™t seen where I grew up; Southern California? Since moving to N.C. last year, I get as excited as a kid seeing them now!

1 Like

I was just looking last night at the plowed and farmed field across the road and wondering why there were so few fireflies. Then I went around the corner of my house into my unmowed back yard and there were zillions! I stopped mowing the back a few years ago - one mow early spring then just let it go wild. It has made the insects really happy!

3 Likes