MDK Dishcloth KAL

The great day has arrived at last. Starting today, and for two whole weeks, we’re knitting dishcloths—together.

All dishcloths are welcome: To join the fun, just start knitting dishcloths. No sign-up is necessary. All yarns are welcome, and we have some great ones in the MDK Shop, which has always been a dishcloth-friendly place.

To be eligible for prize drawings, post a photo (as many as you like), either here in the MDK Lounge, or on Instagram, where the official hashtag is #MDKDishclothKAL.

Read all about the prizes and find some great examples of dishcloths you can knit here: Today’s the Day: Let’s All Knit Dishcloths!

19 Likes

My evidence of gun jumping. Also, my first dishcloths. I have been given knitted dishcloths before, so I know their worth. Working through the Log Cabin set with the Joanie colorway. (Edit to add - this picture dulls all these blues - that lightest color is so pretty, and definitely BLUE)

21 Likes

I started my first washcloth for the KAL last night. :grin: This morning, my one year old son found the skein and made a mess. LOL!

15 Likes

He was HELPING - not making a mess! :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, you’re right! :smile:

3 Likes

Chinese Waves by Margaret Radcliffe is my go-to dish cloth. It’s easily memorized and smooth on on one side and nubby on the other. Some recipients think they are too nice for dishes so they use them as spa cloths in the bath!

I used to make them in white so stains could be bleached:

Now my favorite colorway is Potpourri or Panorama to just hide stains:

My aunt got a set in Hippi with potholders like her mother used to make:

Grandma crocheted the potholders with plain stripes but I found an old pattern that changed colors within the stripes for a fancier look - Pot Holder #2136 by American Thread Company.

I’ve used other colorways but no photos before gifting - maybe I’ll have more in the next few days!

28 Likes

I pulled out some cotton and got a few going

This one looks like a ninja turtle! Love the ball band so far.

14 Likes

And heres a little patriotic honeycomb brioche in progress.

9 Likes

First mosaic project. Love the linoleum dishcloth. Thanks for the pattern

15 Likes

Honeycomb dish cloth

11 Likes

I did all of these today! (Just kidding)
I’ve had so much fun with these. I am knew to dishcloth knitting. They are so pretty, I won’t want to use them!
The bright yellow, cantaloupe and green cloths were knit using Kelbourne Mojave, held double. I had it left over and thought they would go well in my friend’s kitchen. The rest were knit with Rowan Creative Linen — which I really love using.

20 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

I started these last week: Using three different sets of Euroflax Linen mini-skeins, I can get two out of each little ball.

I also knit some other patterns with cotton worsted, but most have been used and are waiting for towel laundry day on Monday! I’ll gather them and take a picture then. Some are the broken rib brioche, which makes a great fabric, and I’m also going through my two dishcloth pattern books.

17 Likes

I made these for my mom’s birthday, but she gave them back to me because she thought they were too pretty to use…

19 Likes

I have made a few cloths. And I am thinking of making a bathroom curtain using the honeycomb scarf pattern in a cotton linen blend yarn on a larger needle, for a lacy effect. I just started it so not sure yet how it will look.

12 Likes

Here’s a trio of log cabin dishcloths I just made and delivered to friends for their new house. I had the perfect handspun bulky yarn to tie them all together!

15 Likes

Here’s my selection so far: 14 to donate to a thrift shop that benefits animals, 9 to give to my cousins, 2 baby washcloths, the Swiffer pattern enlarged to accommodate a Swiffer Max, plus a few others. Love making these!

22 Likes

Road trip knitting! Easy mindless knitting so I can enjoy the scenery. Purl soho’s rose stitch on 41 stitches is my favorite size.

13 Likes

What is the pattern. They are so pretty.

These heart cloths are from an old book by Leisure Arts called Love to Knit Dishcloths. I learned a lot by making them.

2 Likes