Socks and Blocks Knitalong 2020

This is pretty awesome yarn. I did a pair in Uneek. Toe up to get the last bit of possible yarn.

2 Likes

Ok…I am committing to socks. I have some Koigu PPPM that I can use…I am an experienced knitter but have always been scared of socks! I need someone to tell me which method to try, toe up or cuff down AND what needles to use. I find double points fiddly but I have made small stuffed animals on them and been ok! I have knit sweater sleeves using the two circular needle method and have never used magic loop method! TIA for any suggestions. Excited to knit with you all!

1 Like

I am not an experienced sock knitter. I have knit exactly 4 pair. 2 each cuff down and toe up. I personally prefer toe up, but you will find others prefer the other. I find two circs easier than DPNs in almost all cases (maybe not thumbs).

Nobody can tell you what you will like best, sadly, but good luck!

3 Likes

In love with the Little Tents stitch pattern in Neighborhood Fiber Nekst.

13 Likes

I would say 7MC (which includes the border) and 5CC - and are you adding pop colors? That seems such a good size…

1 Like

Sue, the Shakerag top is a lovely thing! I’m sure that there will be help available here, and there are tons of great posts on the Shakerag thread, too:
https://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/shakerag-top-knitalong

2 Likes

That you! I was stuck in exactly the same place!

1 Like

So yesterday I excavated and prioritized my abandoned sock WIPs and will give them some love over the summer.

17 Likes

Excellent archaeology! Those are all going to be so great.

3 Likes

Blocks for the Win! So I decided to make the Afghan, and I created a washcloth to learn it and it’s a very addictive knit.

I’m ready to make an order for the cotton, but I noticed that the Denim skeins have 90 m and the hand knit cotton have 85 m. So I’m trying to figure out how much of each of the hand knit cotton I need to order? If my calculations are correct, it appears that I need one extra of each?

Does that sound right?

1 Like

I posted a similar question, in that the Denim skeins are 90 m and the Hand Knit Cotton skeins are 85 m. The pattern calls for skeins of Denim. So I’m wondering how much meterage per block, which would answer your question as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info. I’m going to go for it. I need a new challenge. Plus I can order the EASE Field Guide and justify the $10 shipping.

Be safe
Sue

2 Likes

My calculations are that you may need 1 more of each the MC and the CC.
Welcome to the party!

1 Like

Knitting is slow right now, but I’m loving these bright colors.
Courthouse Steps from Field Guide 4

8 Likes

Julia, the very first time I went skiing I was wearing a new pair of jeans. I was young and had no gear but I really wanted to try. After accidentally hurling myself down the hill on my first try (long story) I had no fear of anything. As you can imagine, I fell a lot. A LOT! And every time I fell, I left an epic blue streak in the snow from my now soaked, brand new jeans. My friends were using the big blue swooshes to track me on the mountain!

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Hi!! Are you looking at Rowan handknit cotton? The yardage is 93yds. I ordered two skeins more in the main colors because I plan to sew the blocks together with those same colors.

2 Likes

Hi Ann,

Thank you for instigating another knit along - it has inspired me to get back into my sock knitting, so have just finished two pairs using some variegated yarn I had (faded helical stripes - 1MC & 5CC & faded using 6CC). The third pair is on the needles (a mix of faded and helical stripes using 3CC0) and almost finished :-).
I have found two other pairs to either finish (the baby ones), or re-frog and restart (pink ones). So enjoying this! Will probably overdue the remaining variegated yarn for at least another 2 pairs - watch this space :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, the Hand Knit Cotton. I was comparing meters (not yards) as that is how it is done in the pattern in the field guide. I’m really wanting to work out the meterage for a single block. Just not sure how to do that without a scale

2 Likes

Dear Ann,
Thank you for instigating another Knitalong. I have a question: when is Labour Day? Ours is end of October (NZ).
Best
Patricia

1 Like