Socks and Blocks Knitalong 2020

My yarn came yesterday! MDK was perfectly on time. Currently swatching: (that’s Neighborhood Fiber Company Studio Sock in Swoon. Perfectly named.)
15911202382186021679514597935039|375x500

2 Likes

Trying to master the posting pics thing. Apologies all round.

1 Like

I’ll be knitting the picket fence also but just ordered my yarn yesterday so I’ll be a late starter too!! Meanwhile I will be reading all the posts and find tips!

2 Likes

I think I’m in!,

2 Likes

You do keep going, but there are some modifications that you have to figure out. And I must say, I got the idea from viewing the projects on Rav where there is a project page showing the designer’s own version of this. Its worth taking a look at.

3 Likes

Hello,

Started a new pair of socks yesterday on two circs, and they turned out to be size 3’s…So I started over again this morning. Great opportunity to use up some old yarn; not even sure what it is! I hope that once I get rolling, I can go back and take a look at some socks-in-progress and finish those, as well. For now, I’m enjoying perusing the WANDERLUST Field Guide.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Very cool color choice.

Sue

1 Like

The more you work with the technical part the easier it becomes just like knitting. It’s all good! Thanks so much for the help. Socks have been a growth experience for me. Conquering socks gave me so much satisfaction.

Sue

It will be fine. Denim and Handknit Cotton are basically the same yarn so behave the same way in the wash in terms of shrinkage (in face the blanket is looking forward to that first wash as it will firm everything up just a bit, like a pair of spanx. But to answer the asked question: the Denim does not stain the hand knit cotton in my experience, and I’ve knit the darker denim together in the same project with white and been just fine. Note the lighter strips in the sample blanket: they all went through the wash together and there’s no sign of any bleed. Anyone worried about denim rubbing off on their white couches should think about the experience they have with their jeans on the same couch. Deep breath:

1 Like

I am newish to socks, with 5 pairs done since Nov. I have tried both toe up and cuff down in Wanderlust. I definitely favor toe up, as stressing over running out of yarn on the last toe is no fun! Then`I saw and fell hard for Uneek sock yarn on MDK site. Two separate matching balls! Genius! So here is my start of Helen Stewart’s Snippet. (Color 61)

6 Likes

This is pretty awesome yarn. I did a pair in Uneek. Toe up to get the last bit of possible yarn.

2 Likes

Ok…I am committing to socks. I have some Koigu PPPM that I can use…I am an experienced knitter but have always been scared of socks! I need someone to tell me which method to try, toe up or cuff down AND what needles to use. I find double points fiddly but I have made small stuffed animals on them and been ok! I have knit sweater sleeves using the two circular needle method and have never used magic loop method! TIA for any suggestions. Excited to knit with you all!

1 Like

I am not an experienced sock knitter. I have knit exactly 4 pair. 2 each cuff down and toe up. I personally prefer toe up, but you will find others prefer the other. I find two circs easier than DPNs in almost all cases (maybe not thumbs).

Nobody can tell you what you will like best, sadly, but good luck!

3 Likes

In love with the Little Tents stitch pattern in Neighborhood Fiber Nekst.

13 Likes

I would say 7MC (which includes the border) and 5CC - and are you adding pop colors? That seems such a good size…

1 Like

Sue, the Shakerag top is a lovely thing! I’m sure that there will be help available here, and there are tons of great posts on the Shakerag thread, too:
https://forums.moderndailyknitting.com/t/shakerag-top-knitalong

2 Likes

That you! I was stuck in exactly the same place!

1 Like

So yesterday I excavated and prioritized my abandoned sock WIPs and will give them some love over the summer.

17 Likes

Excellent archaeology! Those are all going to be so great.

3 Likes

Blocks for the Win! So I decided to make the Afghan, and I created a washcloth to learn it and it’s a very addictive knit.

I’m ready to make an order for the cotton, but I noticed that the Denim skeins have 90 m and the hand knit cotton have 85 m. So I’m trying to figure out how much of each of the hand knit cotton I need to order? If my calculations are correct, it appears that I need one extra of each?

Does that sound right?

1 Like